Esteemed Contributor

Re: Joint Supplements for Senior Dogs

Chloe isn't a senior but has HD. She takes two Dasaquin a day. She likes them and her HD hasn't seemed to get any worse. We get them from chewy but are kind of expensive.

Honored Contributor

I started off with Glyco-Flex years ago.  When Cosequin came out I switched to it at my Vet's suggestion.  Then a few years later my Vet suggested Dasuquin.  I felt like all three supplements helped my dogs somewhat.  A few of them had to be on a prescription in addition to the supplement though as they aged.

Frankie is six years old and isn't on anything yet.  Maybe I should think about starting her on Dasuquin now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

If you want the next level up from Cosequin,  I HIGHLY recommend Dasuquin with MSM.  You can purchase from Amazon, and it's EXCEPTIONAL.  

Our vet initially recommended that if we could afford to start our dog on it when she was young and keep her on it her entire life, that it would serve her well.  She started when she was 3 months old and just turned 7 years old. 

They make it for dogs and cats.  My girlfriend's cat could no longer jump on the bed and she started to give it to her cat and within a week he was jumping again.

Get it with the MSM.

GOOD LUCK with your baby.

I used Dasuquin also and it is very good. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My oldest golden is 14 years ,7 months old ,with bad hips ,i really like the GLYCO FLEX  stage 3 ,he has been on joint supplements sinse he was 5 years old,at that time he had a hip operation.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I recommend Cosequin (so did vet).  Used it on several older senior cats and it helped them for a number of years. I use it on my 2 kitties, Maxwell is 8, Sophie is 15......  Purchase on Amazon, always special prices for volume.....

Honored Contributor

My dog isn't a senior yet, but I've been giving him Vitacost Athro Power for a good 2-3 yrs., as a preventative, since his breed is prone to hip issues.  It's a glucosamine & chodroitin combo with MSM and some brewer's yeast in the mix.  The glucosamine is actually the sulfate form, which Lessmen explains is the best form rather than the HCl form.  The tablets are bacon flavored so you can give as a treat, if you want to, but I just put it in his food dish.  It's not very expensive either, about $25.00 for 200 chewable tablets.

Honored Contributor

@JB116 wrote:

I had a very scary event 2 weeks ago with my 10 year old Akita. His dog walker told me that he collapsed whil eon their walk while he was going poo. He stayed down for a few moments then got up and all was well.

It scared the heck out of me but at that moment I didn't have the money to take him to the vet so I watched him carefully. He didn't have any other episodes and was walking fine.

I got him to the vet the following week and she did some tests and he has no issues at all. For his age and size he is in surprisingly good health. Often by this age many full breeds might develop hip dysplasia, blindness/deafness, immune disorders, etc. but my boy is healthy. Definitely a good sign.

The vet said that it may be the early signs of joint inflammation/arthritis and I should give him a joint supplement. No prescription needed.

I started him on Well & Good Senior Stage Joint Support chewables. I was surprised at the size of these things. I have to cut them in half for him to even think about chewing them.

They haven't turned him into an activity level of a puppy, but I am already noticing that he comes upstairs and downstairs more often now as it's hopefully eliminating some pain.

If you give your dog supplements which ones do you use? The vet told me just make sure it has Glucosamine but there were so many I didn't know which one to choose. Seeing it working I guess I choose a good one.

@JB116  Sadie, my 13 year old beagle, was showing signs of discomfort in her back legs & hip area. Our vet suggested Glucosamine. The one she suggested by RX was $$$, but she approved Dasuquin chewable tablets. We ordered it w/o an RX from Amazon. After a week, she seems more comfortable when moving and more active.