Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jack Russell barks at anyone entering house

I have a Doxie that was raised with 2 Jack Russells and barks at the door bell.  The "let's see or it's ___" usually works.  He does respond to "No Bark, Sit, and a Treat"  he has calmed down to a comfortable amount of barking.  Distract him with something he knows.

My Doxie will bark at another dog if he is in his yard but when we walk, he doesn't bark at the same dog in HIS own yard!   Go figure!

Esteemed Contributor

Spoiler

YOU DON'T SWAT HIS HEAD - YOU SLAP HIS REAR END WITH A ROLLED UP LIGHT NEWSPAPER AND SAY - - NO NO NO - STOP IT.  YOU DON'T BEAT THE DOG!

GISH............................................

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

fthunt wrote:
Spoiler

YOU DON'T SWAT HIS HEAD - YOU SLAP HIS REAR END WITH A ROLLED UP LIGHT NEWSPAPER AND SAY - - NO NO NO - STOP IT.  YOU DON'T BEAT THE DOG!

GISH............................................

We understand.  It's still WRONG - not to mention outdated.  The dog learns nothing from this except that his/her person hits once in a while.  You may want to read up on positive reinforcement.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for your input. This is our 2 nd JR. so we knew their high energy. Our last one did not bark at the doorbell when we were home, but we were told would bark some when we were gone and someone came to the door. Both are quite different. Can't imagine life without this 13 pounds of energetic love in our home🐶🐶🐶
Respected Contributor

I've got a neighbor who's Jack barks at air...........first, he is not trained.  If he's ever on a leash (which is rare), he pulls so badly he almost chokes himself.  Second, a few times he has gotten loose and all he does is run.....he's absolutely manic and won't come when called.  She puts him out in a small cage.....big enough for him to do his business, but not big enough for exercise and the only time he isn't barking is when he's doing his "business".  There are times when it drives me nuts.  I've spoken to her about his incessant barking, but she claims she doesn't hear him.  I know he's a stressed animal and needs to be trained.....that will never happen.  Why she has such a high energy dog , I'll never know.  I keep wondering if one of those secure wraps around him would ease his stress.....I definitely think he gets separation anxiety even in his cage.  I wish I had an answer for you, but it sounds like the breed is high energy and easily stressed.

Respected Contributor

I typed a long post and poof it left.

You need to do a replacement behavior. Can you have a door shut so she can not get to the front door when the bell rings? The bell rings she barks and goes to the first door and you pick her up and tell her good dog and take her to the door.

Respected Contributor

I am doing this in pieces to see if it will post.

Then she is in your control which makes a big difference..

I would not open a door without her being in your control

Respected Contributor

That what JRT's do. Mine barks but has calmed down now that he is 12. 

If she is a good dog otherwise and only barks for a minute, it'll be okay.

Honored Contributor

Hang in there; three of my dogs barked like crazy at the doorbell. I had to open the door because when I asked who was there, I couldn't hear the reply. Now they've all gotten old and nobody barks at the doorbell because they can't hear it. New dog #4 doesn't bark because she doesn't know dogs bark at doorbells. She's never experienced it. She's a rescue from a hoarder situation always kept outside.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Your dog is doing her job so you need her job requirements to change. It is OK to bark at the doorbell but when she is reassured by you that you are aware she needs to get a treat and allowed to be greeted by the guest if appropriate. If not appropriate she needs to stay glued to your side.

I have a treat box by the door and if a relative comes in with barking stopping they get a cookie. I had had my girls stop in mid bark when they recognize the person.