Unknown.jpeg

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.--Colette

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: JUNE IS ADOPT A SHELTER CAT MONTH

@NickNack 

I love the cat in your photo.

I have but one senior boy left from my previous "cat herd" and I worry about adopting any more, young or old, at age 68.  

My local rescues are overloaded with kittens now, and I've been sending 5 lb. bags of KMR Replacement milk, and all the kitten/cat food my budget will allow.

It makes me sad to know it is a never ending problem, but I do try to help as best I can.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman   Thank you for helping the shelter and especially cats.  I have 5 and cannot adopt another as I live in a condo that the association prohibits more than 2 animals.  BUT, I have not told anyone how many cats I have.  I would love to have a bunch more because cats are so adorable but I would need a shelter of my own.  You are a really good person for doing what you do. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

If my 2 sr. kitties would be receptive to more kitties, I certainly would adopt more.  But, with their snooty little noses, they boycott & hide in the basement rafters & stop eating.  At least they were that way years ago when we tried it.

At this point in their elder lives, I couldn't possibly cause them anymore stress.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine 

And, that is precisely why I didn't adopt a younger cat to keep my senior boy "company."

He is very shy and I didn't want to risk making him miserable or stressed (he is diabetic).

I think older cats can adapt to new arrivals, but it is a risk I didn't want to take again.  I tried it years ago, and it never worked out.  Those cats avoided each other like poison!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   @ScenicMaine   I think you are both wise to not adopt another kitty when you have senior cats.  It could stress them out way too much and make them miserable.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.--Colette

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi @Witchy Woman 

I understand.  We need to watch out for them at every stage of their lives.  I hope to have mine as long as possible so long as they're healthy & not in pain.  

When DH adopted another large dog I made a firm statement that it had to be "cat friendly."  His other dog, (as much as I loved Cooper) chased them both out of the living room every time & wouldn't let them up on Poppy's lap.  He owned both the room & DH!  Not to mention his very loud, constant barks.  But, Cooper was Mr. Personality!  He's still missed a 1 1/2 yrs. later.

Wishing you & your Sweet Mr. Kitty many more happy days ahead together.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi @NickNack 

Thank you.  I'm sure we all know our furbabies' personalities & health issues at this point in their lives.  Caution, love & patience are the words of the day.

Please give your Sweet Frankie & Henry hugs for me.  Heart

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thank you to all who give homes to kitties in need.

I wish every month was adopt a shelter cat month.