JUNE IS ADOPT A SHELTER CAT MONTH

Unknown.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUNE IS ADOPT A SHELTER CAT MONTH

@NickNack 

I love the cat in your photo.

I have but one senior boy left from my previous "cat herd" and I worry about adopting any more, young or old, at age 68.  

My local rescues are overloaded with kittens now, and I've been sending 5 lb. bags of KMR Replacement milk, and all the kitten/cat food my budget will allow.

It makes me sad to know it is a never ending problem, but I do try to help as best I can.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman   Thank you for helping the shelter and especially cats.  I have 5 and cannot adopt another as I live in a condo that the association prohibits more than 2 animals.  BUT, I have not told anyone how many cats I have.  I would love to have a bunch more because cats are so adorable but I would need a shelter of my own.  You are a really good person for doing what you do. 

Trusted Contributor

If my 2 sr. kitties would be receptive to more kitties, I certainly would adopt more.  But, with their snooty little noses, they boycott & hide in the basement rafters & stop eating.  At least they were that way years ago when we tried it.

At this point in their elder lives, I couldn't possibly cause them anymore stress.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine 

And, that is precisely why I didn't adopt a younger cat to keep my senior boy "company."

He is very shy and I didn't want to risk making him miserable or stressed (he is diabetic).

I think older cats can adapt to new arrivals, but it is a risk I didn't want to take again.  I tried it years ago, and it never worked out.  Those cats avoided each other like poison!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   @ScenicMaine   I think you are both wise to not adopt another kitty when you have senior cats.  It could stress them out way too much and make them miserable.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Witchy Woman 

I understand.  We need to watch out for them at every stage of their lives.  I hope to have mine as long as possible so long as they're healthy & not in pain.  

When DH adopted another large dog I made a firm statement that it had to be "cat friendly."  His other dog, (as much as I loved Cooper) chased them both out of the living room every time & wouldn't let them up on Poppy's lap.  He owned both the room & DH!  Not to mention his very loud, constant barks.  But, Cooper was Mr. Personality!  He's still missed a 1 1/2 yrs. later.

Wishing you & your Sweet Mr. Kitty many more happy days ahead together.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi @NickNack 

Thank you.  I'm sure we all know our furbabies' personalities & health issues at this point in their lives.  Caution, love & patience are the words of the day.

Please give your Sweet Frankie & Henry hugs for me.  Heart

Frequent Contributor

Thank you to all who give homes to kitties in need.

I wish every month was adopt a shelter cat month.