Respected Contributor

Re: It's been a long haul, but we're getting there

@juanitalinda The behaviors you're describing aren't typical for a Shiloh Shepherd. My last dog (Keifer) was a (130lb) Shiloh and very devoted to my DH and I. He was easy to train and very obedient, but we did lots of obedience classes. 

He particularly adored my DH, who became known as Doggie Daddy, even at work. When my DH passed, he grieved by the back door for months hoping that he would come back from work, like all times previously,  when they'd joyfully greet one another. When he would return, the pack was complete. 

As dutiful as Keifer's vigil was, DH never came home. He was confused. Keifer's health began a gradual decline, even though he was only six years old, in good health prior. He never stopped grieving. Something in his life was wrong; desperately missing. He passed on the anniversary of my DH's death from immune mediated hemolytic anemia second to annual immunizations. 

Watching Keifer, it was clear he was keenly intelligent and a thinker, who preferred consistency. He didn't miss a thing, but he just preferred to be at home with the two of us. Like it was his job to watch over us.

He had no desire to roam, wasn't interested in other dogs, or visitors. If we left the front door, or fence open he wouldn't try to leave. Not unless we went with him. He never showed aggression toward visitors, friends, or the Vet but he preferred if they just left him alone. They weren't HIS people. 

When I purchased Keifer, I had thoughts of some type of service training, or maybe even S&R, but he didn't have the temperament for that type of work, but many do, and have. Shiloh's are wonderful dogs, but like any breed, temperament's can vary, as can health issues.

I'm glad to hear that your dog is showing an attempt to bond with you. Five years is a long time to wait for a positive response. But, these dogs are sensitive, intelligent and never forget anything.

Some of what she went through with illnesses when younger may have made her mistrustful. Of course, not understanding why those things were happening to her. You're special for trying to accept her for who she is. Since she made some of the moves first, don't push her to do so, just praise her when she does. Then hopefully, it will increase in time.

Always fun to chat with someone who has a Shiloh. Not many people are familiar with the breed. Best of luck. 

Super Contributor

@BlueFinch 

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your husband ... and your dog .. within a year.  That is tough. 

However, it's great finding another Shiloh owner.  We were expecting a more typical Shiloh Shepherd based on our previous Shiloh.  But, I think the health issues combined with her very soft temperment affected her view on life.    And there is always that fear period where memories imprint.    I'm guessing that many of her illnesses coincided with them.

I imagine that Juneau would be like Keifer ... if I weren't around, she would fall into a decline. 

She never stops watching me, well ... unless she is watching for bunnies or deer.   Smiley Very Happy

She follows me absolutely everywhere ... typical Shiloh in that respect. But the minute I try to pet her, she backs away.      

Trusted Contributor

@juanitalinda  What a beautiful girl you have! Kudos to you for not giving up on her. It's amazing what love and patience will do.đź’•

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@juanitalinda wrote:

@BlueFinch 

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your husband ... and your dog .. within a year.  That is tough. 

However, it's great finding another Shiloh owner.  We were expecting a more typical Shiloh Shepherd based on our previous Shiloh.  But, I think the health issues combined with her very soft temperment affected her view on life.    And there is always that fear period where memories imprint.    I'm guessing that many of her illnesses coincided with them.

I imagine that Juneau would be like Keifer ... if I weren't around, she would fall into a decline. 

She never stops watching me, well ... unless she is watching for bunnies or deer.   Smiley Very Happy

She follows me absolutely everywhere ... typical Shiloh in that respect. But the minute I try to pet her, she backs away.      

@juanitalinda Thanks for your reply. It's been long enough for my losses, now, that I've had no choice but to move forward. But, reading of your Shiloh was a trigger for all the fond memories of my own Shiloh. I need to learn how to post photos here. He was gorgeous.

The watchful, attentiveness to your presence is indeed, much like my Shiloh. Juneau clearly senses some security by being in your presence. You're her person; that's a good sign. 

While my dog enjoyed a cuddle now and then, he was also reserved, with a quiet, low activity manner. Almost polite. He was not the kissy face type of dog needing constant contact. For example, he would never exit a door before me. I had to step out first. I didn't teach him that, he just decided I came first, in all activities. If he was human, I would have described him as a country gentleman. 

But, I'm wondering how you manage grooming, Vet visits, walks and other activities, if Juneau backs off from being touched. And, we know they need a lot of grooming. Yikes! 

Seems like a good trainer could give you tips to desensitize her for touch. I bet there's something that could shift that touch shyness, if you could just tap into it. While they talk with behaviors, sometimes we wish that we had a translation tool. 

I so hope, that Juneau continues to move forward one step at a time, so all can have more bonding joy. You're very special for trying to do the best for Juneau. She's lucky to be with you.

Respected Contributor

@juanitalinda You have been the epitome of a great pet parent.  You have been patient and continued to nurture this one to the joyful pet you now enjoy.  May you both continue to bond and flourish in your relationship, bless you!

Trusted Contributor

@juanitalinda    That is a beautiful sweetheart dog!  Thank you for staying there with her and giving her a happy furever home!  

Esteemed Contributor

Awe what a blessed doggie to have you as family ❤️