Honored Contributor

Re: It's National Mutt Day Today!

Is a Black Mouth Cur an AKC recognized breed?  Perhaps they are limited to those since they'd have a reliable source of genetic information.

I have no ideas what Misty might be.  She does seem to have some herding instinct.  Her tail curls over her back.  I've never done the DNA test on her.  The closest I've come in pictures is an Icelandic Sheep Dog, but how would one of those get to El Paso?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@MrsSB wrote:

Oh what a dear little face Ginger has, @wilma .  How old is she?  

@MrsSB 

She turned 7 years old this year. 

Super Contributor

@wilma 7 is a good age. I hope you have many more loving years with Ginger. I love her serious somber look. That is Mosey's default face setting too.  I know the pic I posted of Mosey shows her smiling, but that is not all that usual for her. She is mostly happy though and I bet Ginger is too.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 , Icelandic Sheep dog, huh.  Gee, that's one I've not heard of.  I was going to guess Aussie, Collie, Corgi, mix.

Black Mouth Cur is not AKC listed which is weird because the history write-up I found about them says they originated in the south and helped move America west.  Old Yeller (in the book, not the Disney movie) was a famous Black Mouth Cur.  Also, Embark DNA does include the Mountain Cur, but that breed is not AKC recognized either.  The UKC recognizes both. I found that interesting.

Honored Contributor

@MrsSB.  A breed gets recognized only if it has a strong following of enthusiastic supporters who lobby for acceptance.  I think they need to be formally organized and have events like shows.

Could this be a project for you?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 - Nah, not that interested.  I don't really care all that much about pure dog breeds.  I love mutts.  Just wondered if Mosey was a BMC mix but if I did a test on her and they didn't include BMC in their known breeds, any BMC she had would only show up as the "unknown Super Mutt" percentage so not worth doing the test.