Trusted Contributor

My beloved little cat, BooBoo, is getting old (turns 14 in less than a week). It makes me so sad; we adopted him from a no-kill shelter when he was an energetic 4 month old kitten.Now he's really showing his age; he has arthritis in his back and hips and his favorite "activity" is to sack out in the sun on our deck.

I think neurologically he's fine--he has bright, alert eyes and he's still fairly "chatty". But you can tell it hurts for him to move and we're starting to use pain medicine more to keep him comfy. My main goal these days is to make sure he gets his medicines--especially pain meds--plenty of attention from his family, and plenty of love and affection. Nowdays 14 years isn't that long a life for a cat--heck, my groomer takes care of a cat that's 15+ years old--and I think that's partly because pet owners are tending more to keep their little companions--especially cats--indoors.

Please give your animal companions loves and pettings from me. I guess I'm all het up because two darling little cats in my neighborhood have gone missing. I sure hope they're all right but I'm noy optomistic. Please pray for Mr. Big (it really fits him--he's a HUGE Maine Coon with a high, squeaky voice) and sweet little Lucy; the friendliest little kitty in the world.

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace  Awww, poor little BooBoo.  I know how hard it is when your pet gets older and starts to show it.  I lost my beautiful, sleek, all-black Zoe at the age of 15 in 2015.  It was no surprise because her kidneys were failing and she had become bone thin.  The poor little thing literally walked to my feet and died right there.

I now have a 3 year old fella, Al, who's full of the devil, but I still think of Zoe often.  I hope your BooBoo hangs on for awhile longer and has an easy passage over the bridge.  Remember, there's always another little furry friend out there in need of your love.  Heart

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

It is so hard to watch our pets get old.  You can tell they don't feel well and are in pain but they can't tell you what is wrong.

We had a Golden Retriever for 14 years old, he was our first baby.  So hard to loose him.

Also have a Siamese we rescued 9 years ago, I can tell these days he doesn't feel so well.  He is spending the day so far laying right next to my computer because of the heat pouring off it.

Trusted Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

It is so hard to watch our pets get old.  You can tell they don't feel well and are in pain but they can't tell you what is wrong.

We had a Golden Retriever for 14 years old, he was our first baby.  So hard to loose him.

Also have a Siamese we rescued 9 years ago, I can tell these days he doesn't feel so well.  He is spending the day so far laying right next to my computer because of the heat pouring off it.

It's so surprising you said that because that's what BooBoo does too!

Respected Contributor

Although I am totally a dog lover, I can really feel for you.  We are on our third dog(s) now and I still miss my first two every minute.  I agree with other posters here, there is always another baby who needs a momma !!!

God Bless you and your fur babies

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Absolutely heartbreaking, but worth it for the unconditional love and companionship they give.

This applies to all of our pets, and so true.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal ~

Yeah, the photo and the text pretty much sums it up.  Totally Breaks Your Heart.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

Re: It makes me sad

[ Edited ]

I agree, it is hard to watch them age. I was lucky to have one of my cats live to be 18 and he passed away in his sleep in my bedroom.

I once heard a man question why God didn't make cats  and dogs live longer and someone said, 'there would be no one left to care for them'.

I treasure my time with them.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

Fourteen is old.  Especially for a large breed cat like a Maine Coon.  Some live longer some don't.  Many factors involved in longevity.  You mention you are giing him pain meds.  Some pain meds make them sleep alot more.  The good thing about pain meds is you can taper the dose down to what the particular patient needs.  Look into accupuncture or massage for his arthritis.  He's enjoying his life sleeping in sun puddles and eating good square meals every day.  Got somebody who loves him and gives him pets and cuddles.  What more could a cat want?