Trusted Contributor

Anyone else having trouble getting pet meds? My dog has been on a medicine for coughing for years. All of a sudden it cannot be found at any pharmacy or my vet. Just curious if it's only me. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, it's not you. We have a cat with chronic conditions and the medication situation is not good. Same with her prescription food.

Esteemed Contributor

@Renata22,  if your dog happens to be taking Temaril-P check out petcarerx.com. 

Actually, whichever medication you need for your dog the site is worth checking out.  They often have supplies when other sites are out.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Probably the same supply chain issues that's affecting so many other products.  I've wondered how dependable our pharmacies are for supplying meds for people.  Most of these drugs are made in China.  Thankfully my mail order pharmacy sends out another 3-month supply as soon as I've received one so I usually have 6 months worth on hand. 

Hopefully you all will soon get your babys' meds. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

See if your vet can find a formulary for the med. I had that happen a few years ago and they found a local and mail order place that could make the med for me. Wedgewood pharmacy was the mail order they were in Ohio and very nice. Only a little more than what I had before when I did 3 months at a time.

Respected Contributor

@shoobeeAgreed.  sometimes when a certain med is on nation wide backorder Compounding pharmacies may be allowed to make them until the shortage is resolved.  It Is worth looking into.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Issues With Pet Meds

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much, everyone, for answering, and your kind suggestions. I will certainly try anything to help him. I am using robitussin in a pill form right now. That was the vet's suggestion. It works just ok and it makes his tummy hurt.  My sweet and kind vet that I've trusted for many, many years has retired. Woman Sad  I used to be able to talk to him about anything and he would fix it. I'm still at the same clinic but it's just not the same.  I feel like I have aged at least 5 years since I ran out of my baby's meds. Just feels like one more thing that can go wrong has.  Sorry, I am a little down right now. I know it will be ok, just in a low time. Thanks so much for listening. Heart

I hope everyone will be able to get the food and meds they need for their furbabies very soon.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if you should talk with the Vet and maybe try something else.  You said the robitussin is "just okay."  Maybe something else would be better. i I hope you find some relief for your dog.  @Renata22 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack  That's the only suggestion they had. Kind of made me mad. I know there must be something better they can suggest. There are so many medicines, there must be something.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Issues With Pet Meds

[ Edited ]

@Renata22,  has your vet made a diagnosis as to the cause of the cough?

The dog that I had that was on the Temaril-P had it prescribed due to persistent cough caused by trachea inflammation.  It made a big difference for her.

ETA:  This is from drugs.com:

2. Antitussive: Temaril-P has been found to be effective therapy and adjunctive therapy in various cough conditions of dogs. Therefore, in addition to its antipruritic action, Temaril-P is recommended for the treatment of “kennel cough” or tracheobronchitis, bronchitis including all allergic bronchitis, and infections and coughs of nonspecific origin. (Coughs due to cardiac insufficiencies would not be expected to respond to Temaril-P therapy.) As with any antitussive treatment, the etiology of the cough should be determined and eliminated if possible. Otherwise, symptoms are likely to recur following discontinuance of therapy.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.