Regular Contributor

Is this wrong? My cat is dying.

Joe showed up in my yard about 6 years ago and after awhile I got him to come in and of course I fell in love.  Someone had gotten him fixed cause his ear is clipped.  In August he stopped eating.  Took him to the vet and he’s missing numerous teeth and his molars had to be removed.  He’s also has FIV.  He did great after the surgery with medication but after 5 days again he stopped eating.  I gave him his meds with baby food and he seemed ok but not great.  I took him to the vet this past Tuesday and his gums are inflamed.  The vet gave him injections of Depo Medrol, Convenia and buprenorphine.  But she said it was just a temporary fix because of the FIV and he most likely wouldn’t have a good quality of life.  But for the last 2 days he was eating a lot, and playful, etc. until this morning when I found him in the basement under the stairs.  I believe he’s dying.  He’s not responding to me.  I’m petting him but he looks like he’s sleeping.  I tried to lift him to get him in his carrier but he wouldn’t get in.  I don’t think he’s in pain.  I’m a mess.  Is it bad to just let him be.  I can’t bear to put him in the carrier and drive to the vet.  I’m praying he goes peacefully in his sleep.  I thought he had more time.  My heart is breaking.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is this wrong? My cat is dying.

So sorry you are going thru this.  I never had the heart to put any of my dogs down.  But two of them died in my arms and they do suffer at the end.  Sometimes it is best to take them to the vet and follow their recommendations, as hard as it is.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Scooty   so sorry you are going through this.  the dr. already said that the before treatment was just a temporary fix.  i think you have already done your best, to give him the best.  i think i would let him be. if it's his time, he will pass peacefully. 

i personally would not rush him to the vet at this point. 

sorry.  let him cross the bridge. 

Honored Contributor

Some vets will make a house call for that, extra charge of course.  I have had 2 at-home euthenasias.  

Respected Contributor

It isn't wrong but if you're in doubt call the veterinarian & discuss what's the best thing to do...I think you'll be told everything that can be done has been done & letting the cat die peacefully is best. So sorry. Take care @Scooty.

Valued Contributor

That last act of love is the hardest, I know,  but sometimes we need to do things that are best for our beloved pet.  This is one of those times, I am afraid.  We often times have to do something even though we know we are scared because it's the right thing to do.  Many hugs.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You've taken good care of him so far; now is not the time to stop.  You have to put him before yourself and you have to take him to the vet now.  He can't speak and he cannot tell you if he is in pain and suffering.  Take him to the vet so he can go quickly and peacefully.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds like he is suffering.  Sometimes the kindest thing you can do is to let the Vet humanely put them to sleep.  I always hold my pets and talk to them while the Vet is doing this.  I'm so sorry this is happening.  It sounds like he's had a wonderful life with you for the past six years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I always believed that your furbaby will let you know when it is time. If he is telling you it is time to go, please do not let him suffer. 

My heart broke on October 19, 2009 (ten years ago tomorrow) when my precious cat Max became so ill that I had to take him to the vet to be put to sleep. I could tell he was ready and was suffering terribly. He was 21 years old.  My brother drove us to the vet hospital and I cradled Max in my arms during the ride and while the vet helped him cross over to the Rainbow bridge. I am crying as I write this as I still miss him. But I know that trying to keep him alive would have been selfish of me. It just was his time. 

It sounds like you have been a great cat mama. God bless you and I hope Joe crosses peacefully and without pain. 

Trusted Contributor

I would not let him linger. I’m sure you’re right that he is moribund. So you can’t anticipate how his symptoms or behavior or reactions will alter as he gets closer to the end. How much of that are you willing to witness or put him through? How sure can you be he will pass peacefully and without some frightening physical aspects? A vet’s effort  is mercy, not a hurried untimely end. 

If you hadn’t asked, I wouldn’t offer my opinion. But you sought advice. I’ve seen many a sweet cat to its end. But I’ve always helped when it was clear it was very close to the end. I would get past my own feelings of fear and sorrow and deliver him to the vet for a sure and dignified passing. You can do nothing and let him die naturally, but there’s no guarantee it will not be painless for him and extra stressful for you. Or you could take protective custody of this little guy all the way as you’ve done for so long. Get him to the vet 

It will be best for both of you. You’re not a monster to stay passive, but you have to choose the most humane action. Not what’s easiest or least scary. What’s good for this very sick cat? 

Also, do you want to handle disposing of his body from where he dies in your home??  I’m sure the vet can make that much more acceptable if kittie passes at the vet’s  office. 

Sending  sympathy for your loss and a hug for courage.