Honored Contributor

Is there a safe supplement to help my achy old cat?

She's 13 and showing signs of what I suspect is arthritis.  She eats well and is otherwise happy.  She is not overweight.

Is there a supplement I can give her to help with her aches and pains?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Is there a safe supplement to help my achy old cat?

I would check with your vet to make sure there is something safe to give your cat. 

Valued Contributor

My vet prescribed Cosequin for my cat. Some will take it, others won't like it. It's worth a try. My vet also tried acupuncture on my cat. She shook a couple of the needles off, but since it didn't seem to hurt she put up with it. That was expensive though so we didn't do that often. 

Trusted Contributor

My veterinarian prescribed Nutramax Dasuquin for Cats.  My cat takes it twice a day and I have seen an improvement in her movement------not a huge, huge improvement, but she does seem to move a little better.  I agree, I would check with your vet, first, though, just to make sure there aren't any reasons why your cat shouldn't be taking something like this.     

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

@house_cat  Talk with your vet about CBD oil for this.  It is safe for cats and I know it definitely is life changing for dogs.  A neighbor's dog went from hardly able to walk to actually running some and playing again.

Super Contributor

I take MSM for lower back aches. They give it to race horses. Also dogs and cats. I know if my little girl reaches the point where she has issues, my vet will tell me what dose to use.

Honored Contributor

@Pook

I don't know why I didn't think of this. We already have it in the house.  I'm going to schedule a vet appointment for her as soon as I'm finished with school and I'll ask about it.

Thanks, everyone who responded.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Pook

I don't know why I didn't think of this. We already have it in the house.  I'm going to schedule a vet appointment for her as soon as I'm finished with school and I'll ask about it.

Thanks, everyone who responded.

@house_cat  Do make sure you discuss it with your Vet before giving it to your cat.  (I know you said you would.  I just wanted to stress this to you and anyone else.)  What I've read says that a pet can easily overdose on CBD oil.  Then they will need to be hospitalized.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

me too. I have an elderly cat 13 now, 14 in July -- and he's starting to slow down. We take him to the vet for his regular check-ups but he started acting funny on Wednesday so we got him to the vet early next day. They did a lot of tests and it turns out his thyroid might be getting ready to fail.

As soon as we know exactly what we're dealing with, we'll know how to help him feel better (and a pooped out thyroid CAN be treated if you catch it in time, which it would appear we have). If nothing helps...well, I'm sure not going to force my beloved cat to suffer just for my sake.

I recently went on a rant about how we humans should consider the costs both in money, emotions, and heartbreak when we adopt a pet. You need to have the mindset that this isn't just an animal--it's a new member you're adding to your family. Would you chain your children up in a dog house? Of course not! Same thing with a pet. If you're not prepared to pay the price(s), have 2nd thoughts about what you're doing.

And if after all that you decide to adopt, GOOD ON YOU! I'm sure you'd give your pet a wonderr happy, healthy life.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

No worries about that... I wouldn't give her anything without checking with the vet.  The oil we have is made for humans - I know they sell it for pets, as well, and the formula may be different.

@FuzzyFace

All but one of our pets have been rescues, including this one who we adopted when she was 3 mos old and very sick. She required a lot of care in the beginning, but she's certainy worth it. My DH is disabled and spends most of his days at home alone.  This cat is on his lap or by his side the entire day.  I dread thinking about what will happen when her time comes.

~ house cat ~