Honored Contributor

Re: Is it selfish to get a dog when you are a senior

@chiclet 

It's not selfish at all.  You can add him/her to your will or if you're close to someone, ensure he has someone who will take him.  That will put your heart as ease.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Mellyg 

You are a wonderful neighbor!  How amazing to offer to do that for her.  So many people who are older would love to have a pet but a concern about what will happen to it if they are no longer able to care for it or pass on, keeps them from doing so.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I think this concern is more common than we know.  There should be organizations that address this issue.  Maybe there are -- does anyone know?  Maybe your local animal shelter knows or they can give you information.  DH and I have had thoughts of possibly getting another dog but we are neither of us that well and we don't want to worry about what would happen to it if we should pass and it is still alive.  We have no close relatives  that we could count on either.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I know I could appoint someone to take care of the dog or leave funds in a will.  However, I do not have anyone who would want that responsibilty.  Not neighbors, family or friends.  I see ads sometimes saying they wanted to rehome a dog that was left by someone who died and ususally the dog is old.  I don't know what the answer is.  Dogs get you up in the morning and keep you going all day. They take your mind off your own problems.  They make you smile.  I remember very little time in my life when I did not have a dog or cat or both.  I live in a active senior community and there is an elderly man down the street who is widowed.  It makes me happy to see him walking the two little dogs his wife left.  I bet he gets aggravated sometimes walking them but it gets him out of the house and moving and I see him talking to people.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Adopt a senior dog, they dont get chosen much because a lot of people want puppies or younger dogs.

@chiclet 

I was going to make the exact same

suggestion that @Imaoldhippie did.

These older pups still have so much love

to give and deserve to spend the rest of

their lives in a home like yours instead of

in a cage at a shelter.

Many years ago I rescued two 12 year

old kitties (brothers).The woman who

had rescued them as kittens was dying

(didn't know her) and in my heart I knew

that nobody else was going to take them in.

I had four other kitties at the time

(all rescues) but that didn't matter

to me...I knew that I was their only hope.

I never regretted my decision and those

sweet boys spent the rest of their lives

(one lived to be 17,the other 18) in the

loving home that they deserved to be in.

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=

Honored Contributor

@chiclet   My collie rescue group, Southwest Collie Rescue, often takes in old dogs that no family member wants, from a deceased person.  The dog's age or condition doesn't matter.  We love them all.  Usually a group member will take in the dog for the duration of its life with the organization footing medical bills 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thank you, @AngelPuppy1 . Your comment has me thinking about organizations or a group that would help place pets in the event of something unforeseen. 

I adopted a 7 year old cat years back (I wasn't planning on it), but was at the Humane Society and he was brought in because his owner was in hospice and there wasn't anyone to take care of him. It broke my heart, and it was obvious that this sweet cat was so loved.  I knew I had to adopt him! I prayed that his owner would at least have peace knowing he was given the love she gave him. 

Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I am almost 70 and lost my Pomeranian in August and I miss him every day.  I just cannot get over the pain.  I want to get another younger one to keep me busy but he may wind up in a shelter if I die before him.  I know people say adopt an older shelter dog but I have researched every place online and it is almost all big dogs.  My husband and I only have each other and our pets are our world even more so  during Covid.  I see seniors out walking their dogs and I know that without that dog they would probably never walk or even get out of bed. It is sad that the time in your life you have the time and attention and need for a dog you have to worry about the fact that you dont have the longevity.  

@chiclet 

There are so many dogs that need homes that it could never be selfish.  Try to choose the right dog for your situation.  If possible, see if there's a way to arrange care should you and your husband be unable.

I hope you can find a new companion!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Start with...... https://pomeranian.rescueme.org/    Rescue your new bestie.

Esteemed Contributor

You can always be a foster mom. That solves the problem of veting and who will care for the dog after you are gone.

At 82, I'm considering doing this myself.