Honored Contributor

Re: Is it selfish to get a dog when you are a senior

[ Edited ]

@Jasmine19 wrote:

It's only selfish if you don't plan ahead for what happens if you die or become incapacitated. Animals are living longer than ever. Before I adopted a kitten when I was 60, I made sure my son would take him if I couldn't care for him. I adopted a shelter cat a few years ago from a shelter that requests adopters to return an animal rather than give it away or abandon it. 

@Jasmine19 

The rescue groups in my area have a clause in their contracts for adoption, stating that 'IF FOR ANY REASON" you are no longer able to keep and care for the animal, IT MUST BE RETURNED to the rescue, or there is a $500 fine.

When we had our meet and greet with our latest rescue Kingston at a park, the rescuer received a phone call from a pound saying that one of their adopted out rescues had been turned in to them by the adopters.

She immediately called another volunteer, instructing her to go to the courthouse and file a claim against the adopter.

Thank God for microchips, even though they're put in your name once adopted, it still shows where the animal originated from.

ETA: The rescue group also had the pound hold the animal for the volunteer to pick up and return to the rescue.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Not at all. There are tons of fur babies just waiting for a home and to be loved and give love. 

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Adopt a senior dog, they dont get chosen much because a lot of people want puppies or younger dogs.

@chiclet   @Imaoldhippie   Actually, many rescue groups have "Seniors for Seniors" programs where the promote the adoption of older dogs by senior citizen.  The group with which I've worked actually got a grant to conduct such a program.  For heaven's sake don't adopt a puppy.  That's as bad as raising a child

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My mom was 80 and desperate for a puppy.  I was a little leery about the decision, but I felt if something happened, being a dog lover, I could take the dog.  

I took my mom on a quest to find what she wanted -- a mini Schnauzer. We found a beauty she promptly named Posie.  

My fears Posie would outlast and survive my mom were wasted worry and energy. Posie lived for ten years, being spoiled like a little princess.  My mom lived four months shy of 97.

My mom had a slow developing Alzheimer's, over many years. Posie gave her a purpose that would have been lacking, otherwise.  I know it sounds crazy, but it helped her stay more focused and on task.  She was happy.  When Posie died, she went on an immediate decline. The illness overtook her.  But,  Posie had given her a decade of fun and companioship.  

As the saying goes:  We don't always get the dog that we want.  Sometimes we get the dog that we need. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch 

Beautiful post!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

My mom was 80 and desperate for a puppy.  I was a little leery about the decision, but I felt if something happened, being a dog lover, I could take the dog.  

I took my mom on a quest to find what she wanted -- a mini Schnauzer. We found a beauty she promptly named Posie.  

My fears Posie would outlast and survive my mom were wasted worry and energy. Posie lived for ten years, being spoiled like a little princess.  My mom lived four months shy of 97.

My mom had a slow developing Alzheimer's, over many years. Posie gave her a purpose that would have been lacking, otherwise.  I know it sounds crazy, but it helped her stay more focused and on task.  She was happy.  When Posie died, she went on an immediate decline. The illness overtook her.  But,  Posie had given her a decade of fun and companioship.  

As the saying goes:  We don't always get the dog that we want.  Sometimes we get the dog that we need. 

@BlueFinch 

It doesn't sound crazy at all.  Far from it.

❤️

Valued Contributor

It's not selfish at all!  

As an animal lover, dogs in particular, I can't imagine life without at least one.  I do think our pets keep us young at heart and force us to be active.  No one knows when our time will be up.  As long as you make provisions for your pet, by all means go get yourself a new best friend now!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 82 and considering adopting.

I find it sooooooo hard to go on without a furbaby to love.

I don't know what to do.

A needy 8 yr old Labradoodle came across my path, my GD friend is moving and cannot take her along.  Smiley Sad   It seems like a Godsend, but she is huge.I don't know what to do.

I'm not sure i can handle a big dog. My balance is not so  good.

Plese give me your thoughts

Trusted Contributor

I've done dog rescue for many years.  There are plenty of small senior dogs available.  Don't forget to check out the small dog rescues as well as all breed rescues.