Honored Contributor

Re: Is it selfish to get a dog when you are a senior

@chiclet wrote:

I know I could appoint someone to take care of the dog or leave funds in a will.  However, I do not have anyone who would want that responsibilty.  Not neighbors, family or friends.  I see ads sometimes saying they wanted to rehome a dog that was left by someone who died and ususally the dog is old.  I don't know what the answer is.  Dogs get you up in the morning and keep you going all day. They take your mind off your own problems.  They make you smile.  I remember very little time in my life when I did not have a dog or cat or both.  I live in a active senior community and there is an elderly man down the street who is widowed.  It makes me happy to see him walking the two little dogs his wife left.  I bet he gets aggravated sometimes walking them but it gets him out of the house and moving and I see him talking to people.

The rescue group that I have gladly supported for a number of years, on occasion gets a dog to rehome after their owner dies. They have a waiting list of people on file. The rescue group has been in existence for 30 years and no matter what the situation happens to be, they step up and work things out.

Valued Contributor

We are 67 & 69 and last year we got 10 week old Shih Tzu puppies on December 10th. They are very hard to find near us & after losing 3 dogs & a cat last year I believe God sent us a gift! I was so depressed & not having my babies just was a terrible loss for me. My husband was lost too, but he still works. I think if you can find a dog you want you should go for it. We also had a Pom. These little dogs need exercise but not like big dogs. My parents are over 97 years old. I think these will be my last puppies, but the joy & love we have with them has been wonderful & healing. I say go for it!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Was wondering if I should adopt a dog who is 10 years old. He looks so sweet. I don't know if I should adopt a young dog since I'm 67. This agency wants the dog back if you're not able to care for it anymore which gives me piece of mind. 

All the dogs are in foster care...not in a shelter so they are taken care of. 

Frequent Contributor

@chiclet-I know exactly what you mean. 'My hesitation is giving it a "forever" home'.Loving the little guy and making him feel secure. Then perhaps dying and leaving him alone again.I understand all the arguments to be made that outweigh my feelings, but

my conscience is holding me back. I feel like I'm breaking my own heart. I have never said these things out loud. Thank you for reading this. If you're brave enough-do it. There is nothing like a furry friend and they deserve to find homes.

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I am almost 70 and lost my Pomeranian in August and I miss him every day.  I just cannot get over the pain.  I want to get another younger one to keep me busy but he may wind up in a shelter if I die before him.  I know people say adopt an older shelter dog but I have researched every place online and it is almost all big dogs.  My husband and I only have each other and our pets are our world even more so  during Covid.  I see seniors out walking their dogs and I know that without that dog they would probably never walk or even get out of bed. It is sad that the time in your life you have the time and attention and need for a dog you have to worry about the fact that you dont have the longevity.  

So sorry for your loss.   I was in my early 60s when I adopted a dog.  I looked for a senior since I did not want to have the dog outlive me.   

My search lead me to a 9 yr old Lhasa Apso who lost her "mom".   They were extreemly close and Holly was mentioned in her obituary.   Unfortunately, no one in the family wanted her and she spent a few months living alone in the house when her "mom" was taken to a nursing home, till she died.  She was dropped at the local animal shelter where her "mom" volunteered.  She was lucky to be put into a foster home.  She refused to eat for one month and did not talk there at all.   

When I adopted her she began to open up.   I fed her some fresh cooked chicken and almost bit my fingers off.  She refused all dog food that I tried.  And she climbed on dining room  tables.  I took her to a local woman who communicated with animals.  I learned that they would share food and she NEVER ate dog food.  So, I learned to cooked a balanced diet for her.  She also stared often at the wall for periods of time.  Her "mom"visited her.   

Holly loved walking and meeting people.  She sang and shouted at me.  i think I heard her bark a few times.  

Holly lived with me for 6 years till contracted IVD.   I am still torn apart by it.

Holly's "mom" got her as a pup when she was in her 70s.   I would strongly recommend that you would either adopt an older dog and/or have provisions in your will for its care if you pass before they do.   It is too cruel to leave a pet behind to an unknown fate.

There are MANY rescues that have older dogs.   I could name many, especially by breed.   Look by breed or contact Best Friends in Utah who has rescue partners all over the US and ask for an older dog.  You will save each other!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RINNI wrote:

@chiclet-I know exactly what you mean. 'My hesitation is giving it a "forever" home'.Loving the little guy and making him feel secure. Then perhaps dying and leaving him alone again.I understand all the arguments to be made that outweigh my feelings, but

my conscience is holding me back. I feel like I'm breaking my own heart. I have never said these things out loud. Thank you for reading this. If you're brave enough-do it. There is nothing like a furry friend and they deserve to find homes.

@RINNI 

I am going through this exact same thing. I just lost my beloved Cozi Boy,very suddenly, Oct 3. I'm heartbroken,I NEED someone to love sooooooooo badly.I am sooooooo alone without him. But even though my (all adult) family surrounds me,noone really will take over should anything happen to me.They all have pets of their own. I'm 82 ,Thats why I considering fostering.....I'm saying "Considering"

I'm trying to put it all in Gods Hands!

Trusted Contributor

This very same topic came up with a brother of mine and I really think he'd make a terrible pet owner as he gets bored too easily and is not dedicated enough to walk a dog and care for them properly.  So in his case definitely selfish.