Valued Contributor

Is anyone here registered with pet partners?

I have just signed up and am in the beginning process.  I am so excited!  I have wanted to do this for years. but the last 3 years my life was not in the best place.

My pup just turned 4 and has had basic training.  He is now signed up for another 12 weeks.  I am taking the handlers course online and started it today.  I have also ordered the handbook.

I am very excited to be part of this great organization.

Any advice from partners?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone here registered with pet partners?

@Warrior2022   I don't know much about Pet Partners or any of the various organizations like that.  I do have a friend who lives in San Francisco and takes her two dogs places as therapy pets.  They go to the San Francisco International Airport a lot now.  They have also gone to children's hospitals and nursing homes.  She has done this for many years with different dogs of hers.  She finds it very rewarding, and her dogs really enjoy it, too.  

I wish you well.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Warrior2022   I don't know much about Pet Partners or any of the various organizations like that.  I do have a friend who lives in San Francisco and takes her two dogs places as therapy pets.  They go to the San Francisco International Airport a lot now.  They have also gone to children's hospitals and nursing homes.  She has done this for many years with different dogs of hers.  She finds it very rewarding, and her dogs really enjoy it, too.  

I wish you well.

Thank you!  I am so excited!  I have wanted this for a very long time!  

Honored Contributor

We have a local organization that provides training, testing and certification like that.  I wanted to do this but even though my dog passes her AKC CGC every year she can't get through the further training needed because she is still prone to extreme excitement when people that approach her are not calm when wanting to pet her.  She often can stay calm but will never be 100%.  She is so happy, friendly and loves everyone but she is just not suitable because of this no matter how much I work with her.

Valued Contributor

@Pook wrote:

We have a local organization that provides training, testing and certification like that.  I wanted to do this but even though my dog passes her AKC CGC every year she can't get through the further training needed because she is still prone to extreme excitement when people that approach her are not calm when wanting to pet her.  She often can stay calm but will never be 100%.  She is so happy, friendly and loves everyone but she is just not suitable because of this no matter how much I work with her.

Thank you for responding.  My dog is very calm, but he has other issues that he will need to overcome.  Face touching, he doesn't snap, growl or bark but he definately tries to move away.  He also jumps at loud noises.  We shall see, I have the time to do it now, so I look at it as more bonding time.  My Aunt had a Grand Pyrenees that she trained from a puppy and he logged many many hours at hospice house.  She is the one that suggested it to me because he is so calm and friendly.  Don't give up!