Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Your Heating System Working Properly?

@Nicknack wrote:

That's tragic.  I don't understand why she left her dogs for nine hours without water though.  That's awful.  I can't help but wonder if they might have survived if they'd had water.  Maybe not, but I can't help but wonder.

I initially asked the same question but then thought perhaps there was no water when she got home because the dogs had consumed it all early in the day.  The woman did not strike me as someone who would neglect or mistreat her dogs.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp Every Spring I sign up for check-ups on the heat pump, etc. for Spring and Fall.

By paying ahead I save a lot of money.  I usually have to get a new filter for the humidifier thing, but other than that I've already paid.

Of course with heat pumps they are a pain in the you know what....anyway, take care.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

That's tragic.  I don't understand why she left her dogs for nine hours without water though.  That's awful.  I can't help but wonder if they might have survived if they'd had water.  Maybe not, but I can't help but wonder.

I initially asked the same question but then thought perhaps there was no water when she got home because the dogs had consumed it all early in the day.  The woman did not strike me as someone who would neglect or mistreat her dogs.

I would agree except that they said the dogs had been without water for nine hours.  They wouldn't have known how long they'd been without if they'd had it when she left.  It's a very tragic story.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Well isn’t my life just so special!!!!!

It is a balmy 18 degrees here right now, on it’s way up to a tropical 28 today.

The heater repair guy just left and after much inspection and tinkering has declared my heater totally dead and beyond repair. It was installed 19 years ago.  It will cost around $3500 to replace just the furnace part.

I have held my breath for the past two summers regarding the AC portion of the system and have probably known that something would have to be done with it next spring.  So, I should tack an additional $3000 onto the tab if I choose to do the intelligent thing and replace both of them at the same time.

All this and they won’t even be able to fix it until at least Wednesday thanks to the fact that they have to order it and the long holiday weekend.  So I get to spend the coldest weekend of the year thus far in a freezer.  And for the grand finale, he warned me to be real careful because now I need to worry about pipes freezing.

I had to pay properly taxes on Wednesday, found out Mother’s nursing home will be nearly $6000 a month next year and I need a new roof.

I am cold and I am miserable, even more than usual.

MERRY FREAKIN CHRISTMAS 

Honored Contributor

@Wheatchick1  I would call a different company and find one that didn't have to order the furnace and have them install it this weekend.

-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

I am in a very small town in the middle of Kansas and things of this sort generally have to be ordered from Wichita.  Not a lot of options.  Believe me, I have certainly tried everything.  No one wants to be in this situation.

Honored Contributor

Sadie and Molly’s perverred “heating system” 😜

B7D16DC6-5D1C-4CA0-9045-0D87687A9205.jpeg

Regular Contributor

FURNACE UPDATE -

Hopefully I will have heat by Tuesday evening, if I am not a popsicle by then. I went and talked to the contractor, and thank goodness his mother and I had been best friends for 2 years in high school.

If I had gone for the economy model heat & AC combo I could have gotten it for $4500.  Only problem is, due to the holiday it probably wouldn’t have been delivered until Thursday.  What he did have in stock in my size was the energy efficient more expensive unit.  The price on it will be $5826, turnkey, taxes included.  They will be out first thing Tuesday morning to install the good, more efficient unit.  This kind of outlay is going to be brutal for me. Not quite sure how I will pull it off but I will.

I figure that by putting the better unit in that I will probably get a better return when I am forced to put the house on the market which, at the rate things are going, will probably be sooner than I was prepared for.  I have to put a new roof and gutters on due to a major hailstorm we had last summer and due to the fact that the current roof being 17 years old I will only get a depreciated portion of those repairs plus having to pay the deductible.  Barry is a complete HVAC, plumbing and electrical contractor so he has people to handle all of that stuff.  I told him that my garbage disposal went out and he said that he would hook me up with that and not charge any labor.  And something is wrong with my backyard lights but he has a master electrician on payroll.  That’s good to know, but I told him that would have to wait until spring.

I figure that when it goes on the market the fact that the house has brand new energy efficient heat & air, a new roof, new garbage disposal can only be a positive, right?

As if all of this holiday joy isn’t enough, when I got home with a car full of stuff to haul in, my garage door opener is not working, and I can’t figure out how to open it manually.  Lovely.  And of course when I called the door company, after 6:00 of course, all I got was “Merry Christmas! We are closed until 9 am Tuesday so our employees can enjoy the holidays with their families.  Please call back then”.  Fabulous - I wonder how much this will cost?

DANG !!!!  I don’t know what I ever did in this life to deserve this kind of karma.  All I know is that I am cold and grumpy.  I have a chill to the bone and I can’t seem to get warm.  And I am just plain fed up with it all.

HO HO HO!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Wheatchick1  I had hail damage to my roof, and my insurance paid for a new roof.  The adjustor that the insurance co. sent out said it wasn't hail damage, but everyone else's insurance co. was paying for it due to hail damage, so I had someone else come out.  I had a very reputable roofing company come out and say that it was hail damage.  They sent it in to my insurance company, and it was paid for.  I would suggest trying to get this paid for by your insurance co. if you haven't already done so.

-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

@Wheatchick1  I had hail damage to my roof, and my insurance paid for a new roof.  The adjustor that the insurance co. sent out said it wasn't hail damage, but everyone else's insurance co. was paying for it due to hail damage, so I had someone else come out.  I had a very reputable roofing company come out and say that it was hail damage.  They sent it in to my insurance company, and it was paid for.  I would suggest trying to get this paid for by your insurance co. if you haven't already done so.

Oh they admit it’s hail damage for sure.  We had a storm that ruined practically all the roofs in our town and most of the cars that weren’t garaged.  And yes, my insurance will be paying the majority of the repairs.  But there is the deductible and a portion will be reduced because of depreciation.

The roof repair in itself wouldn’t be so bad.  But having to do the heating/AC at the same time is what’s killing me.  In addition, my mother’s nursing home is right at $6000 a month.  She’s running out of money after nearly 4 years in the facility and I’m just feeling the stress of it all. And now the garage door and garbage disposal going out - both fairly minor individually but when tacked onto everything else the pressure is mounting a bit.  But I will preserve through.  After all, really no option!