Esteemed Contributor

Is Your Heating System Working Properly?

Heating system malfunction blamed for dog deaths

http://wlos.com/news/local/heating-system-malfunction-blamed-for-dog-deaths

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

Re: Is Your Heating System Working Properly?

Hi Marp!  As a matter of fact, my heater is NOT working.  But the repairman will be here at 8:30 Friday morning.  Good to know because we are getting ready for a cold spell.  I went to the hardware store and bought a space heater to help things out in the interim. 

Are you okay?  I think about you often and really miss our talks. I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Wheatchick1.  Lots of stress right now but I'm doing pretty good all things considered.  If you remember I seem to have very difficult leap years so will be glad when 2018 arrives (she says while biting her tongue so as to not tempt The Fates).

I've missed you too and am so happy to see you posting again.  Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a New Year of peace and good health.

Do you still have my email address?  I saw on another thread where yours has changed.

Regular Contributor

I think I might!  If I can find it I will send you a note.  

Honored Contributor

OMG!  Don't get me started!  When we built our house (and it's still true in our area), we had to have heat pumps (all electric).

A heat pump does not work once the temp drops below 32 degrees, then the 'all electric' kicks in.

Recently I woke up to 63 degrees in the house.  The thermostate was supposed (key work) to change over to electric and it didn't.

Anyway, the company maintaining the thing came over in the afternoon.  I still don't know what the issue was.  I'm pretty savvy when it comes to most things having to do with the house because my husband was often developing properties and developments in other states.  I was the one standing next to the repair people, learning and asking questions.

Believe me, this has helped me so much over the years.  A few months ago there was no hot water.  As I've done before, I took off the plate protecting the 'reset' switch and reset the thing.  Good as new.

I've done so many repair things, it's crazy.

Anyway, after a few years ago spending 4 days in this house with no electricity and no heat (wires had fallen across the driveway, couldn't get out), this Spring I bought myself a kerosene heater.

I used a portable one the entire time my daughters were growing up.  I know all of the safety issues and how to use one.

If handled safely they can be safe to use in an emergency.  

I also have another kind of heater that uses bottled gas, so I'm set.  

Hopefully, I won't loose electricity, but if I do, I'm set.

After all, I managed in this house for 4 days.  During the day I'd sit in my car and watch DVD's with my then cat.  At night I had a large battery and used a heating pad.

We survived.  I cooked on the gas grill.  When the state finally cleared the roads the electric company rehung the wires and I could get out.

I also park in the garage only when the weather is going to be bad but I also know, if I have to I will manage to back out enough to sit (outside) in my car to keep warm.

I have two of those things that tell you if you have (in my case) left the car running in the garage.  Cars are so quiet these days, sometimes it's crazy but ........can't take chances.

I am a believer that woman can do ANYTHING a male can do (unless it's very, very heavy).  I also believe in life we need to pay attention.  

I believe that all through those years when I had to manage the house and 3 daughters and my husband was traveling, it was training for the day when I'd be alone and need to do it all of the time on my own.

To all of you young women, ask questions of the repair people, learn in case you have to one day do it yourself.

Regular Contributor

I agree with Annabelle - as women it is incumbent upon us to learn to handle our business on our own.  I have quite the toolbox.  Actually, between DH and Daddy, I have always had a “thing” for hand tools, lol - and I know how to use them.  But after doing all I could on my own I had to break down and call a repair guy.  Whatever is going on is beyond me.  I have been without heat for about a month but the high for this weekend and holiday is only going to be in the 20s and I don’t want the dogs and the cat to be too miserable.  I hope it’s not too major (fingers crossed) but knowing my luck......

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, your points are well taken but the deaths of the dogs had to do with a heater malfunction that caused it to continue to emit heat while the owner was away for the day raising the temperature to an unbearable level.  The dogs died as a result of heat and dehydration similar to what happens when shut up in a car in summer heat.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp

Your thread caught my eye 'cause I just had my system repaired.  Had to replace a Taco. It was more of a lack of rather than too much so I was relieved.  

But, never realized such a thing could occur so I just posted this on my facebook - have a lot of pet lovers as friends there.  Thank you for this valuable information.

Honored Contributor

My home  was built in 1980.  We bought it in 1991.  It has a forced Air electric furnace... it is the original furnace from 1980  and we have NEVER HAD IT SERVICED since we bought the house!  It runs perfectly( so far).  We do change the filter in it every two months and have for the 25 years we have lived here. 

I will just replace it when it breaks down.... until then, keep fingers crossed.  They do not make them today like they did in the old days that is for sure! 

Honored Contributor

That's tragic.  I don't understand why she left her dogs for nine hours without water though.  That's awful.  I can't help but wonder if they might have survived if they'd had water.  Maybe not, but I can't help but wonder.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau