Super Contributor

One of our cats passed away suddenly lsat night from heart problems.  Right now we are grieving--including her sibling sister.  I know that at some point we will be ready to bring a new kitten into our family and our vet says it might be good for our cat to have a new buddy.

Can anyone offer advice on how long to wait before we bring in a new kitten?  And any tips for how to introduce the new kitten to our current 5 yr old Maine Coon.

Today our hearts are broken but at some point we'll be ready to open up to new love.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss!  I lost my beloved dog last Sept and will be getting a new puppy next weekend.  we have a 2 year old dog that we inherited from a family member that is not able to care for her. We are going to go to our local dog park and introduce them there and then when its time to come home let the puppy go home with our dog in the same car like its a friend coming over.  Maybe something like that? Neutral area to get to know each other first before just plopping a new pet in the home?

Trusted Contributor

@srgtdj   I am very sorry for the loss of your sweet cat.  I lost my Callie cat 2 years ago.  About 8 months later I adopted Sophie ( 7 years old) from the shelter.  There is no set time to wait before you bring in a new cat.  You will know in your heart when you are ready.  I believe that sometimes the pet that has passed on will lead your new pet to you. 

Only you will know when you are ready for another kitty.  Hugs to you my friend and hugs to your Maine Coon kitty.  

Respected Contributor

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. You seem like a very loving pet guardian, so trust your own instincts on this issue. Your kitty may love the new kitten immediately, & it may help with the loss. Of course there will be initial hissing, etc.- that's normal. But kittens have a way of melting everyone's heart- that includes other cats & dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Introducing new kitten

[ Edited ]

@srgtdj

I'm so very sorry for your loss.Heart

Image result for sending hugs to you images

LAST NIGHT

I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peek.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I purred to you softly, as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour your coffee.
You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore,
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "it's me."

You looked so very tired and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everday.
To tell you with such certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over....I smile and watch you yawning
and say, "good night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to meet you and we'll stand side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there's so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out....then come home to be with me.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty.  No one can tell you what to do.  When we lost our little Callie, all of a sudden an opportunity came up to adopt another kitty.  I resisted, but I fell in love with even the picture of our Lily, a Maine Coon needing a quiet home.  Well, we jumped, and this kitty has added joy to our lives.  I got the sense Callie wanted us to give another kitty a loving home. We never forget our kitties who have passed, and I picture the one day they all meet in kitty heaven.  My best wishes to you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Introducing new kitten

[ Edited ]

@srgtdj

I'm so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Everyone is different. After a loss, myself, I have to wait awhile for the grieving process to run it's full course before thinking about adopting a new baby. A friend of mine on the other hand, when she lost her kitty recently, her husband brought home a kitten the next day. It helped her immensely with comfort and joy while her heart was broken.

I will keep you in my prayers for your comfort during this difficult time.

Trusted Contributor

@PamfromCT       I love your post.  Yes, all animals do go to heaven and we will see them again some day. I too had a cat named Callie. I also have a cat named Lily and I used to call them Calalily, like the flower.  My Callie has passed and after a while I adopted Sophie.  I now have Sophie and Lily.  I also believe that my Callie sent Sophie my way.  God Bless our pets.  

Super Contributor

I'm sorry to hear of your fur baby's passing.  Pets truly are a part of the family.  Regarding introducing a new kitty - here's what kinda sorta worked for me:  Being empty-nesters we have spare bedrooms.  I set up the new kitty in a bedroom - food/water - litter box - etc.  Of course the "cat of the house"  was extremely unpleasant to the new family member - hissing - batting at him, but what did help was having a place for the new kitty to live until the "cat of the house" decided to be a little nicer.  We kept the door closed - but the space between the door and floor allowed the dominate cat to familiarize himself with his new roomie in a less intrusive way.  It still took a while for "the cat of the house" to be nice to the new kitty, but eventually they buddied up.  Good Luck!

Super Contributor

Thank you all so very much!  Our hearts hurt right now and tears occupy the day.  We are giving extra attention to our remaining girl and making sure that she feels safe and loved.  We are going through the waves of grief..laughing over antics from our beloved girl and stories of her past adventures and the part of her personality that touched us the most.  And that then flows into tears over her little life cut short.  And I admit some guilt wondering if I could have done anything to prevent this.  My vet assures we we could not.  But I am beating myself up a bit right now.   I miss her terribly.

But I know we need a new baby at some point.  I do beleive she/he will appear when the time is right.  And I do appreciate the wonderful tips for how to introduce the new baby.  

I know that our hearts always expand to allow in a new fur baby.  We've had pets pass away before.  But they were always older and in failing health.  I've never had such a surprise fatal event for such a young gal.  So it feels extra painful since I had no time to mentaly prepare.

I know the pain will ease.  I know our girl is in a happy place.  And I know we will love another--we have a wonderful home to give to our fur babies and tons of love for them.  Now we just need to get through the grieving process.  The grieveing process really sucks.