Honored Contributor

Yesterday my husband took the dog for a long walk. It had rained and was nasty earlier in the week. So the dog did not get his usual walks in the park. So yesterday, they had a longer walk to "make up for missing" their walks earlier in the week.

Last night the dog was sleeping soundly. Earlier in the night his paws were moving as he slept. Not uncommon. Then his paws stopped moving and his tail was wagging enthusiastically and he was still asleep.

Do you think it was because he was having a happy dream? My husband wanted to capture it on video. But as soon as you move the dog would wake up. I want to think he was having fun in his dream. The dog was in one happy mood yesterday. My husband asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. He was so excited. More excited than usual, he kept doing his "talking" bark and wagging his tail and jumping up and down. 

I wonder if his dream was just part of his happy dance when we went for a ride.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla

My Eddy does that sometimes and I always interpret it as his having a happy dream!  The tail wagging can wak you up thoughm while they sleep right thru it!

Once in awhile, he'll also bark loudly while dreaming so I figure he's protecting us in his dream!  He does awaken when that occurs and both of us get up and walk around the house to make sure all is well!

Respected Contributor

Our Dottie wags her tail while she sleeps sometimes too.  I also believe she is dreaming (in REM) and she is having a blast!

Debbie does not do it though, I guess she does not dream??!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla

Funny you mentioned the tail-wagging dreaming today.  Eddy was especially happy today. At grocery store I got their in-store baked-stuffed haddock (made sure no onions) for my and Eddy's lunch.  Also picked up some great veggies that had asparagus, white/gold corn, carrots (knew Eddy would love them).  While eating his lunch I asked if it was good - he wagged his tail so much thought it was gonna come off!

After playing ball outside - it's close to freezing here, but much warmer! - Eddy layed on his kitchen bed semi-dozing.  At cookie time brought a greenie to him (also a fave).  He later dozed off. 

Wouldn't ya know, I walked by and there's my Eddy on his belly, sound asleep - with his black tail wagging left to right, over and over again.  All I could think of was one of those black cat clocks they used to sell years ago - it looked so funny!

Guess Eddy proved the point - when they're really, really happy their dreams are tail-wagging!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Goldenlocks -  OK - when I come back and am reincarnated - I want to be Eddie. I had dried out left over chicken for lunch. 

Honored Contributor

I used to have a dog that would do that all the time.  I always thought she was dreaming happy dreams.  I loved watching her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Goldenlocks -  OK - when I come back and am reincarnated - I want to be Eddie. I had dried out left over chicken for lunch. 

@drizzellla  -  dried out left over chicken  - yuck!  Even Eddy says, woof,woof YUCK!Woman LOL