Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I really hate giving my dogs all these medications, i give heartguard,and if you live in midwest ,south,west you need to give them ,but i know some up here in new england that do not,but remember you can give it every 45 days,instead of 30 in some areas.

@goldensrbest  I totally agree about hating to give my dog meds.  It doesn't matter where you live........every 45 days and your dog is protected.  When you care about the chemicals you are giving your pet, 45 days is easy enough to remember.  There are further steps you can take if you want to avoid as many dosings as possible, but most people don't want to do it.  It involves keeping track of the temperature at night. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

One other thing, if you are interested, do some research on the dosage.  The recommended amounts are WAY too high. 

Regular Contributor

The thing that I have always wondered about was the weight range say 11-25 pounds would that not mean that the 11 lb dog is getting about twice what he should be getting.?

Esteemed Contributor

@KATIE ANN  I don't know how to cut and paste the article I have on this, but the recommended dose is .05 mg. per pound.  That is substantially lower than the recommend dose on the package.  The added med is to kill hook and round worms.  The lower amount is adequate to kill heartworm.

As far as the big weight range, I don't get that either.  All vaccinations are the same dose whether it is given to a toy poodle or St. Bernard.........convenience.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@KATIE ANN  I don't know how to cut and paste the article I have on this, but the recommended dose is .05 mg. per pound.  That is substantially lower than the recommend dose on the package.  The added med is to kill hook and round worms.  The lower amount is adequate to kill heartworm.

As far as the big weight range, I don't get that either.  All vaccinations are the same dose whether it is given to a toy poodle or St. Bernard.........convenience.

@tends2dogs,this is really a problem with vets, dr. becker,and dr.robb have articles on facebook about this, the titers around here cost almost as much as the vaccines.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs,this is really a problem with vets, dr. becker,and dr.robb have articles on facebook about this, the titers around here cost almost as much as the vaccines.

I would rather pay for a titer than a vaccine anyday.  Are you saying these articles are about dosage of vaccines?  @goldensrbest

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

I would rather pay for a titer than a vaccine anyday.  Are you saying these articles are about dosage of vaccines?  @goldensrbest

Same here. To me, it isn't about cost but about what is safest for my dog. I don't want to give them more chemicals and drugs than they truly need. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have German Shepherd dogs and our vet switched from Heartguard to Interceptor a while ago. (I think it's been about 18 months or so) I believe this is new and improved from the original heartguard formula. At any rate, our dogs are fine with it. My female is super sensitive to everything from medication to food to grass and she does fine with it. No problems and they are protected.