Valued Contributor

Kitters is my second rescue kitty with asthma.  She is prescribed flovent via inhaler twice a day.  Having her use the inhaler is easier than you would think.  The bigger problem is the cost of the flovent.  My other kitty needed one puff twice each day, but Kitters needs two puffs so an inhaler lasts only 30 days.  The flovent patent has expired but unfortunately no generic inhaler options are yet available.  Before the patent expired, the flovent manufacuturer kept upping the price and now it's about $250!  (Cats who take less expensive oral steroids for asthma often develop diabetes and I do not want to take that chance.)

My vet has an asthmatic kitty and uses Canada drugs online.  The inhaler cost is about one-third.  But you have to pay by check and the processing time is slow.  And, I found out after talking with them today that the inhalers come from Turkey.  Has anyone used this option for veterinary prescriptions?  Your feedback?

Respected Contributor

Re: Inhaler for asthmatic kitty

So there is no othe inhaler kitty can use?  If not, try Costco. You might find over time it will be worth membership fee to get meds cheaper. 

As an asthmatic,I think it is so awesome that you adopted these kitties. 

Frequent Contributor

I use to buy my cat's inhalers from canadapharmacy.com, this was years ago but I found them to be the best place to purchaes them from, the inhaler was called flixotide, the international version of Flovent and I was paying $96.00 at that time.  I used the inhaler along with the Aerokat aerosol chamber.

Respected Contributor

Good advice to shop around.  In some states Non-Members can use Costo Pharmacies. Check it out in your state.  All the best to you and your kitty.