Regular Contributor

Incontinence Issues: older spayed female dog...Meds advice

My 10 year old Shepherd-mix female dog has been having lots of urine accidents in the house. It pretty much happened suddenly and she has no UTI infection. Her vet put her on Proin but from the first does she was in distress, panting heavily, and agitated. He took her off the Proin, but says he needs to look into other presciption options.

A friend who worked as a vet assistant says there are two other meds prescribed for this problem: Incurin and Ditropan.

Has anyone used either of these last two on their dog? If so, were there any side effects? I've been giving my girl bladder control supplements with no success at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Incontinence Issues: older spayed female dog...Meds advice

[ Edited ]

@Haircut100  I am sorry to hear you are going through this with your dog.  I had a male dog that didn't do well on Proin either.  I don't have experience with the 2 drugs you mentioned, but I looked them up.  If I was going to try one, I would go with Incurin.  It is estriol and seems a bit more "natural" albeit I am sure it is synthetic.  The other has too many side effects to me JMHO.  I tried supplements, too.  What have you tried?

Has your vet ruled out kidney problems?  Does your dog have any other symptoms?  Sometimes kidney failure or problems of the kidney will present with inflamed or ulcerating gums and foul smelling breath because of excess toxicity settling in the mouth.  Also frequent vomiting can occur. 

I resorted to using a belly band and pads for the last year of his life.  They were a life saver (as well as carpet saver) for us.  This was after we ruled out all possible causes.

I wish you the best with your dog. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Regular Contributor

My female Belgians was also having this problem. My Vet put her on DISPMED and she has been doing quite well. No more incontinence issues through the night.  Good luck with your baby.  

Honored Contributor

My boy has incontinence issues and we just use a belly band. I use the reusable ones and just wash them in the washing machine. They are a lifesaver.

Regular Contributor

I'm looking up DISPMED but can only find that it might be some kind of antibiotic????

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

My boy has incontinence issues and we just use a belly band. I use the reusable ones and just wash them in the washing machine. They are a lifesaver.

@HappyDaze Where do you buy the reusable ones?

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze Where do you buy the reusable ones?

@SeaMaiden I buy mine from Drs. Fosters and smith. I also buy the extra liners for extra protection. We've been using them for at least a year now and he is a big boy (135lbs) and has never leaked from these. 

Drs Foster & Smith Product  Drs Foster & Smith Product 

Male No-Leak Wraps

Male No-Leak Wraps

There are three different colors and we find the light tan color runs larger than the other two colors. Weird. 

Esteemed Contributor

My 15 yr old (was 14 then) was put on Proin 25mg in August - she immediately had a seizure in the middle of the night.  Google says dog becomes agitated - wanders and wanders - and that's what happened at 2 in the AM  She was banging her head under my bed on the metal frame.  Immediately took her off the med.  No other solution to senior dogs - cats for this problem I'm told

Valued Contributor

My dog was put on incurin and was supposed to take 2 to begin with.  She woke in the middle of the night panting and in distress.  We cut the dosage to 1/2 pill every other day and she was able to tolerate it but we didn't like that she couldn't seem to rest.  We took her off it and just took her out often.  She almost seems to have been cured because she has not leaked in the house in a very long time.  If you have the ability to just take your dog out like every 2 hours or so, that's what I would recommend.  I hate all these new medicatons the we aren't sure what they do to our dogs.  Good luck, I know it can be frustrating.

Respected Contributor

Our old lab was on Ditropan for 4 years before she passed.  She had no side effects and it worked really well.