Valued Contributor

If you had (or have) a horse...

[ Edited ]

...what would you name it, and why? And I don't care about the breed.

A few years ago my DH and I were passing through DC and stopped to say Hi to our Representative in Congress. He was able to get us tickets to watch the goings on, and he was filled with great glee that he'd been able to do so since our Sentor couldn't.

I got to thinking about it and I decided "Great Glee" would be wonderful name for a horse, especially a race horse. I can just hear the announcer: 

"...and down the stretch and heading for home is GREAT GLEE!"

Honored Contributor

Re: If you had (or have) a horse...

Horse racing is abusive to the horses, just like it is for greyhounds and should be banned, IMO.

Personally, I don't believe in abusing any animal, just to 'entertain' humans, I find that barbaric.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I named my blue roan Applasooa "Gypsy Apprition"  because she was a mostly white horse with lots of gray and she looked ghostly walking through the woods and in the pasture at night.  You could just discern something pale and big after dusk moving around.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Valued Contributor

Jk9--what a beautiful description. I can see her because of the way you described her.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My horse is named Jay. I didn't name him he came with that name.

He has a special friend & his name is Pablo He's a miniature donkey.

They don't race. They just wander around the field & go into the barn to poo.

Esteemed Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666  We had a red roan appaloosa that had been a range horse from Pine Ridge SD. So, we named her Bena, which is a Native American name for a pheasant. She did look a bit like a female pheasant when she was standing out in the middle of a corn stubble field.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very Off Topic but Funny:

I love animals but have never ridden a horse.

But I did ride a mule once, when we were visiting a national park out west - Zion.  We rode on a trail with some steep cliffs, and I was nervous.  It was my first time, and it was “buckshot’s” first day on the trail, as well.  I guess we both survived.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT  Good for you getting the Mule!  If I have my choice between riding a horse and a mule I'd want the mule! 

Valued Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

My horse is named Jay. I didn't name him he came with that name.

He has a special friend & his name is Pable He's a miniature donkey.

They don't race. They just wander around the field & go into the barn to poo.

Oh my gosh, too funny. I can see them in my imagination...oh well you didn't have to worry about stepping in poop out in the pasture Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

That reminds me, our cat used to run outside and eat grass and then run back inside to vomit on the carpet. Thank you, Daisy.

Long ago I had a horse named Caprice.  

Also long ago, I rode a mule down into the Grand Canyon, following a narrow scary path. But the animals are steady and know exactly what to do so they don't fall off the edge.  They are wonderful animals. I don't know if the park still offers that adventure or not.  We slept in bunkbeds in a ranch house down in the canyon and rode out the next day. Good memory.