Honored Contributor

ISO an easy to use, effective cat harness.

I'll be traveling with my cats and although I've purchased two excellent pet-limos for the back seat of our car, I'd feel better if I had harnesses, as well.  I'd like to get them used to the harnesses long before our trip in June.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a soft cat harness that is easy to put on and use?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: ISO an easy to use, effective cat harness.

I don't think any of them are easy to put on, but several have outstanding ratings. One is Rabbitgoo and another is Travel Cat.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

That's a great idea, getting them used to it ahead of time.  I wish I had the luxury of getting my cats used to car riding in general and being able to *walk* them outside.  Unfortunately we didn't get them until they were older (not sure of their ages).

They say it's safer for cats and dogs to be secured in their carriers when traveling by auto.  So that's an added plus.

Have a great trip!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

@Sushismom 

I bought these for the trip and I've had them set up in the house for the last two months - both cats do go into them voluntarily, so that's encouraging.  The carriers are big. They take up the entire back seat of my car and they attach with the seatbelts.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 5.10.36 PM.png

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

My cat Tommy goes into his carrier voluntarily. He sleeps in it every day. However, I've only had him about 6 weeks and have never taken him to the vet in it, although it did take about 20 minutes to get him home from the rescue.

Honored Contributor

I have to take my cat to the vet on Thursday (by myself...ugh) and because she is so afraid there is no way I'd get her in a pet carrier. 

So I bought a huge plastic hamper and my husband cut a piece of wood that we bungee on to the top.  She doesn't panick for some reason when we put her in, she goes quietly.

On the ride she will howl.  The whole way....

But it's the only way we can transport her.  I just hope I can get her in the back of my vehicle by myself.  I dread Thursday for so many reasons.....

Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

what brand are those carriers?  where did you get them?  I may want to purchase one -they are very nice!!  

Esteemed Contributor

I have moved with cats and I would not trust any harness ever.  

The ultimate nightmare is that they escape the carrier or harness somehow.  And they are going to try.  Chasing them around a parking lot off the interstate?  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   I agree with @Still Raining .  I would never trust a harness with a cat.  I've read many times that cats can wiggle out of them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My family and I travelled from Texas to California with a cat on a collar and leash way back in 1966. She was well trained and never tried to escape.