Honored Contributor

Re: IN MEMORY OF CECIL - PLEASE CONSIDER

@Drythe. It's disturbing to hear of a country which hhas so little regard for its assets that it condones trophy hunting.  However, I think I'm more worried about the sad state of the elephant herds in Zimbabwe than the lions.

Perhaps some of us are cat people and some are elephant people.  Lions have litters of cubs on a regular basis but elephants, with a long gestation period and single birth, are much harder to replenish.  I love the way the elephants seem to be emotionally attached as a family unit whereas the cats stick together to hunt.

I've signed several move.org petitions recently that concern both the lions and elephants.  I often wonder if those petitions do any good?  Why should the President of Zimbabwe care what we think?  I've also seen information from Care2.

It's great people like you are so passionate about supporting these causes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I also got the e-mail and signed it. How sad this is, this crushes my soul and breaks my heart.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe, for whatever reason I couldn't get the link to fire on my iPad, so I just went to the Care2 site and signed. Thanks for your efforts to save the animals. Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe. It's disturbing to hear of a country which hhas so little regard for its assets that it condones trophy hunting.  However, I think I'm more worried about the sad state of the elephant herds in Zimbabwe than the lions.

Perhaps some of us are cat people and some are elephant people.  Lions have litters of cubs on a regular basis but elephants, with a long gestation period and single birth, are much harder to replenish.  I love the way the elephants seem to be emotionally attached as a family unit whereas the cats stick together to hunt.

I've signed several move.org petitions recently that concern both the lions and elephants.  I often wonder if those petitions do any good?  Why should the President of Zimbabwe care what we think?  I've also seen information from Care2.

It's great people like you are so passionate about supporting these causes.

@Kachina624

You are SO right.  I signed a petition just the other day about the recent killing of the largest and oldest Elephant in Zimbabwe.  Just breaks my heart.

But, this petition will at least inconvenience "trophy" hunters in the US, and we are one of the biggest offenders.  I suppose we can only try to do what we can do.  I surely do acknowledge that it is disheartening.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

The petitions do help.

I often receive updates about the petitions I've signed and many times, action was taken in some form or other.  And, as you know, the more people who become aware, the better for the animals.

For anyone reading, don't stop contributing to these causes as well.

For example, the Charles Lindbergh project uses drones to prevent elephant and rhino poaching.  Here are two links to this work.  

And it is working!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/air-shepherd-drones-stop-elephant-rhino-poaching#/

https://www.facebook.com/AirShepherd

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Kachina624

The petitions do help.

I often receive updates about the petitions I've signed and many times, action was taken in some form or other.  And, as you know, the more people who become aware, the better for the animals.

For anyone reading, don't stop contributing to these causes as well.

For example, the Charles Lindbergh project uses drones to prevent elephant and rhino poaching.  Here are two links to this work.  

And it is working!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/air-shepherd-drones-stop-elephant-rhino-poaching#/

https://www.facebook.com/AirShepherd

@GingerPeach

So true.  If we can save one, that is one more.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
New Contributor

U have my.support signatures, It really.frosts my cookies t!'this is happening, as well.as the fact that as a Mommy.of 3 doxies all.abused and one was a breeder, she is the sweetest mini.daschund and it breaks my.heart that she has an enlarged heart from being used as a breeding machine. Wish that we get justice in memory of Cecil but for all us furbaby lovers , we are behind you.. My.only.wish is that our government did their job.and the horrific.abuse, would end would be put in.law. It also upsets me as a Mommy.of three that breeding would be outlawed . I am so.glad that I.found this furbabies forum.. I.am.a newbie to posting but will help.and gladly.sign. I just would love to.put my babies pic as my profile , will.figur it out. Adopt.don't shop.
Mommy of Killian , one of the 3-precious loves of my life
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting this info.  I just signed the petition.  I couldn't get your link to open using my tablet, but I just googled the site and it worked like a charm!  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~