Honored Contributor

Re: IN MEMORY: A YEAR SINCE LOSING SADIE

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus 😪 how beautiful the poem is....made me cry... I know how you feel about your Sadie...((Hugs)). ~ SeaMaiden~

Thanks so much @SeaMaiden . Molly is a sweetheart and we love her dearly, but Sadie passed in my arms (with the vet) within weeks of my mother passing, too, so that time was particularly tough. I have had so many beagles, but somehow Sadie was the "special" one. Maybe because we spent the last several years of Sadie's life nursing her w/ meds and never knowing how much time we had left. She was a trooper w/ weekly blood tests (Cushing), meds adustments, etc.

At the same time, I was leaving her every day to go care for my Mom an hour and half away. Worried about both. Sadie was my comfort when I came home tired and sad. Molly's my puppy who wanted to play and kept me laughing. Totally different personalities. Thank goodness Molly's calmed down a lot now and follows me though the house, communicates w/ those huge brown eyes and acts like she knows there's a void she's filling. Such instinct our pets have. 

Our beagle before Sadie was Sophie, also a sweetheart. She died of cancer at 15. It happened suddenly. We were on vacation and she was kenneled. The vet called that he'd make her comfortable until we could get home to her, but Rainbow Bridge called her before we got to say good bye. Sadie's the only dog I held in my arms while she received the injection and perhaps that memory never leaves you. I couldn't do it any other way. She never left me alone when I needed her, I owed her the same. Apologies for bending your ear w/ such a long reply. 💕

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Hugs to you.  I still tear up when I talk about my first Airedale, Molly.  Abby, our second, is 9-1/2 years old.  We waited over 9 months before we brought another dog into our home.  They are all so different and special in so many ways. 

The poem you posted is very beautiful and put a lump in my throat.  Hugs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nyc1 wrote:

@Shanus  Hugs to you.  I still tear up when I talk about my first Airedale, Molly.  Abby, our second, is 9-1/2 years old.  We waited over 9 months before we brought another dog into our home.  They are all so different and special in so many ways. 

The poem you posted is very beautiful and put a lump in my throat.  Hugs.

@nyc1   You have a Molly, too. We got Molly (10 wks. old) shortly after Sadie was diagnosed w/ Cushing. We joked that she was our "back up beagle". Sadie took her in as HER puppy and near the end, the roles reversed with Molly caring for Sadie. She'd push her w/ her nose helping up/down the ramp we built to the yard. Led her to the food dish when Sadie had no appetite. We worried how Molly would do after her "patient" died. She mourned for awhile, seeing us mourne, then slowly came around and realized for the first time in her life, she was on her own, the top dog, the only dog. Now she's enjoying ALL the attention she deserves. Appreciate your thoughts and sorry for the loss of your Molly. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Thankyou for sharing your story about Sadie and your other sweet pups... We had a mobil vet come out to the house with Lola... I was petting her and talking to her as she was put into a twilight sleep first... although it was hard, I knew that she was in so much discomfort and that at last she felt no pain  and was just drifting off to sleep...  a gentle soothing sleep. 

We have our 2 year old lab... Buddy.  I do not know if he misses Lola... but, now there is no one to dangle a toy infront of to play tug of war... I try to replace Lola and grab the rope toy and growl like Lola did and Buddy seems to like it..    They slept together.. and enjoyed each others company.......  I miss Lola everyday and talk to her. 

Trusted Contributor

@ShanusThe love you both shared will always be tucked sweetly away in your heart.

Honored Contributor

Thanks all for marking the day with me and helping me towards closure. 💕

Honored Contributor

That is a beautiful poem.  So sorry for your loss.

kindness is strength