Trusted Contributor

Re: I want a French Bulldog!

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I want a French Bulldog, but OMG! I'm a naturally frugal person and I can't justify spending thousands of dollars for a dog.

The only way I will get one is if I find a "retiree."

They're so cute!!!!

Yorkie,

My Dad and his wife had two, about 26 years ago now. They originally just had one, but then ended up taking the other sister from the same breeder. The breeder wasn't able to sell her being the runt of the litter, so my Dad and his wife took her, knowing that.

She was really adorable, too. Both she and her sister were.

My Dad would tell them that my DH and I were coming to visit, and they would get all excited, and by the time that we would be there they would have their toys ready for me! LOL!!

It was the cutest thing! I would barely sit down, and there they were, with their chew toys and their rubber pull toys, waiting for me to play "tug-o-war" with them! Smiley LOL Heart

Respected Contributor

I was fortunate to adopt a frenchie. So I would tell you to remember several things: they are bulldogs and have the bulldog personality, you see on the rescue sites that many must be the only dog in the home, they have health issues related to their smushed face and those big bat ears must be cleaned and they are truly amazing companions. My frenchie developed  sudden blindness related to GME which is a progressive brain disease and required several years of chemo. That said he was a once in a life companion and I do not regret a minute we were together. I would adopt another in a minute. Our frenchie got along with everyone and our other dogs. Best wishes on your quest.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Please rescue one that needs a good home.  If people wouldn't pay breeders hundreds of dollars for dogs we wouldn't have hundreds and hundreds of dogs that are in horrific conditions needing homes.  It's a travesty.

The travesty is that few people now buy dogs from reputable breeders and that states don't monitor pet breeders more carefully  The travesty is that there are so many stray animals because they aren't neutered.  

I worry that in 20 years there will be few breeders and little variety it dogs.  With all the mixed breeds, you are finding more and more problems in dogs, more and higher vet bills that force people to abandon animals, more strays, more problems being bred into the dogs, etc. etc.  How do you stop that cycle?  Just adopting shelter dogs isn't really doing a lot for the future of dogs in general.  Nobody talks about that.

Esteemed Contributor

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Here's a bucket of reality - go sit in a Vet waiting room and just listen to what the bill is for bringing fido in for whatever - I have a senior dog and she will be my last dog.  Can't get out of the Vet office under $200 - and that's just for general stuff and flea meds.  I hear prices being presented to other customers - $350 - $450 and on and on.  I love animals but you must be prepared in the event the animal needs special care - and what your pocketbook can endure.  Happy New Year!

This is so true. Not referring to anyone here and certainly not Yorkie but it burns me up when people rush out to get a dog on a whim and then whine that they they can hardly afford to feed them. What??  I cringe to think what kind of medical care they are getting, if any. 

A dog is not a toy. @fthunt  I just paid around $1500 to have dental work/surgery done on our dog. You are so right to point out that everyone needs to consider the cost of dog ownership. 

Esteemed Contributor

Our previous dog had cancer and we tried everything - took her to Cornell Animal Hospital - $2,000 - didn't help.....but we tried and then cried.

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Here's a bucket of reality - go sit in a Vet waiting room and just listen to what the bill is for bringing fido in for whatever - I have a senior dog and she will be my last dog.  Can't get out of the Vet office under $200 - and that's just for general stuff and flea meds.  I hear prices being presented to other customers - $350 - $450 and on and on.  I love animals but you must be prepared in the event the animal needs special care - and what your pocketbook can endure.  Happy New Year!

This is so true. Not referring to anyone here and certainly not Yorkie but it burns me up when people rush out to get a dog on a whim and then whine that they they can hardly afford to feed them. What??  I cringe to think what kind of medical care they are getting, if any. 

A dog is not a toy. @fthunt  I just paid around $1500 to have dental work/surgery done on our dog. You are so right to point out that everyone needs to consider the cost of dog ownership. 

So if you can't afford expensive medical treatments you can't own a pet?  Is that where we are now?  Pets are only for wealthy people?  So if only wealthy people are fit to own them, what do you do with all the dogs and cats that are homeless?  Do you think shelters can spend thousands to work on a dog's teeth?  

I don't think people are looking realistically at this issue any more. 

Valued Contributor

I just read in the newspaper today about Lancaster, Pa. having  the largest puppy mills in the U.S.  The laws are not up to date to rescue these poor animals.  Something has to be done ASAP.  I'm going to call and write Pa. congress to get their butt's moving!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Please rescue one that needs a good home.  If people wouldn't pay breeders hundreds of dollars for dogs we wouldn't have hundreds and hundreds of dogs that are in horrific conditions needing homes.  It's a travesty.

The travesty is that few people now buy dogs from reputable breeders and that states don't monitor pet breeders more carefully  The travesty is that there are so many stray animals because they aren't neutered.  

I worry that in 20 years there will be few breeders and little variety it dogs.  With all the mixed breeds, you are finding more and more problems in dogs, more and higher vet bills that force people to abandon animals, more strays, more problems being bred into the dogs, etc. etc.  How do you stop that cycle?  Just adopting shelter dogs isn't really doing a lot for the future of dogs in general.  Nobody talks about that.

Responsible pet ownership as well as responsible breeding are necessary.

A responsible breeder is not "breeding problems into dogs".  In fact they are trying very hard to breed them out.  Puppy mills are not the whole problem, also the people who breed Fido because he is  good dog or to earn some extra money. 

Are pure bred dogs worth the money, to some yes.  Can you breed healthy pure bred dogs that are not "show quality", yes (but your not going to make a lot of money).  Can you breed pure bred dogs that are prone to all kinds of genetic problems and make a profit, yes. 

Problems arise from those people who breed because they want to make money.  They make their designer breeds for profit.  All the "poos" and "doodles" are not breeds and usually are a product of poor quality parents.

Puppies that are sold to the first buyer rather than the right buyer (once again for the sake of a profit) is a major reason  for strays and dogs turned into shelters.  Almost two years ago I adopted a dog that was specifically bred for performance sports.  Long story short, this puppy was sold as a family pet, probably a Christmas Puppy (definitely not a good match).  This pupppy (4 - 5 months old) was picked up as a stray and ended up at the county pound. 

Responsible breeding and responsible ownership are the solutions.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

So if you can't afford expensive medical treatments you can't own a pet?  Is that where we are now?  Pets are only for wealthy people?  So if only wealthy people are fit to own them, what do you do with all the dogs and cats that are homeless?  Do you think shelters can spend thousands to work on a dog's teeth?  

I don't think people are looking realistically at this issue any more. 

homeless-6.jpg