Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I took my dog off of grain free food

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Grains are not bad for dogs. Dogs have been eating grains for centuries.  I have never read anything regarding the protein source being the reason for the heart problem in dogs.  I have researched this very  intensely because I want to make sure I am giving my Sammie the correct and best food possible.  The research I read said it was the legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. Before Grain Free Food dogs always ate grains and there was never any mention of any heart problems for dogs during that time which leads me to believe that it is the grain free food that is causing the heart problems in dogs.  I suggest people speak to their vet if they have questions. 

Commercial dog food came was not popular till the early 1900's so they have not been eating grains for centuries.  Even then they did not include grains till around WW2 to make dry kibble.   Prior to that dogs would hunt for food or have scraps from the human meals. 

I have done my research also and will not feed my dogs food that uses grains as filler.  There is no nutritional value in those products for dogs.  High quality animal protien is what dogs have been eating for centuries, grains is just to make it cheap.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

The issue is not about grains, grains are not healthy for dogs.  They are nothing more than filler.  The issue is from the source of protein. Dogs need animal sourced protein that is not overly processed. 

Don't you find it strange that your doctor is telling you to eat more fresh and less processed foods while your vet pushes them on your pet. 

You hit the nail on the head, @CrazyDaisy , however, it won't be a popular post here.  People live and die by what their vet tells them.  I have had more than one vet tell me they know very ltttle about nutrition.  

Dr. Karen Becker claims that rice just ferments in the gut and yet, that is the first thing most vets tell you to feed a dog with the runs......boiled hamburg and rice.

Don't get me started on dry kibble.........Woman SadWoman Frustrated.

@tends2dogs I feed raw so we're on the same team here at least, lol..........😁😉 I'm lucky because my vet fully supports it too!!

Regular Contributor

I haven't switched our dog off grain-free back to grain. She was only on a grain kibble, lamb and rice, for 3 months when we first adopted her from the shelter.  It was 3 months of an itching bleeding neck and chest rash that took 2 rounds of a steroid Rx to clear.  We don't know if it was food or flea related or what. Also have no idea what she was fed for her first several years of life.

I admit I am quite conflicted and confused about the whole grain free thing. I've read various articles for and against both and also for and against raw and home made. 

Last vet visit for check up she seemed okay and no tests or feeding advice were given. So I'm hanging in with Salmon or Turkey and Sweet Potato with people food cooked chicken also given daily to supplement. 

It's all very confusing and muddled to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom   Willie eats raw also.  I have been to different vets (holistic) and they are very much on board.  They also agree about grains and limited vaccinations.  

We are a small group and the idea isn't popular.  If people really knew what all was in the food they were feeding their pets and the lack of nutrition, they would reconsider.  At least I hope they would. 

Oh, and a great side benefit of raw (as I am sure you know) is clean teeth and good breath.  There won't be any need for anesthesia and teeth cleaning here.  Win, win.  Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

The issue is not about grains, grains are not healthy for dogs.  They are nothing more than filler.  The issue is from the source of protein. Dogs need animal sourced protein that is not overly processed. 

Don't you find it strange that your doctor is telling you to eat more fresh and less processed foods while your vet pushes them on your pet. 

This bears repeating. Thank you, @CrazyDaisy 

I would have hoped we all understood it by now (hasn't it been years since we've known this?) that it's not the "grain free" that is the issue; it is the legumes that are causing the problems.  Manufacturers of dog food are substituting legumes for meat proteins in the so-called "grain free" food.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Grains are not bad for dogs. Dogs have been eating grains for centuries.  I have never read anything regarding the protein source being the reason for the heart problem in dogs.  I have researched this very  intensely because I want to make sure I am giving my Sammie the correct and best food possible.  The research I read said it was the legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. Before Grain Free Food dogs always ate grains and there was never any mention of any heart problems for dogs during that time which leads me to believe that it is the grain free food that is causing the heart problems in dogs.  I suggest people speak to their vet if they have questions. 

@LuvmyLab 

The only way dogs have been eating grains for centuries is if they ate the stomach contents of a prey animal that has fed on a grain.  

Too many vets push whatever foods a manufacturer/dog food supplier provides them for resale.  That is not the way to get an unbiased opinion.

Maybe take a look at this article and the other sources it provides, just in case you haven't yet:

whole-dog-journal DOT com/food/diet-dogs-and-dcm

ETA: Whole Dog Journal accepts no advertising.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Dogs are omnivores, so they can eat most categories of food.  Grain free makes no sense to me for dogs.  No doubt there are things that are fillers vs a healthy food substance.  Dogs will eat fruits, vegetables, and foods with grains.

Cats are carnivores and need more protein and fat.  It is why your dog usually loves cat food.

I don't get into the controversy over various pet foods.  Pet food companies have spent billions on research as to what animals need.  Sure, they want to make a profit.  But they also want pets to do well so people are happy with their products.

Hyacinth