Esteemed Contributor

Re: I took my dog off of grain free food

[ Edited ]

The issue is not about grains, grains are not healthy for dogs.  They are nothing more than filler.  The issue is from the source of protein. Dogs need animal sourced protein that is not overly processed. 

Don't you find it strange that your doctor is telling you to eat more fresh and less processed foods while your vet pushes them on your pet. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Have to admit, I haven't followed this at all.

Has anyone heard about this negative issue applying to grain free CAT food too?  

I have one cat that consistently chooses the grain free, when given a choice. 

@x Hedge   I have Googled several times and can't find anything about grain free and cat food.  When I got my cat, Henry, I tried several grain inclusive foods that he wouldn't eat.  I finally tried Nutro Wild Frontier grain-free and he loved it.  The past two times I've had to buy a new bag I have looked for a high quality grain inclusive cat food that seemed similar, and I can't find one.

Even though I haven't read anything about grain-free food being bad for cats I would like to switch to a grain inclusive food.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Molly's food is protein and veggies...no grains. The grains add fat, like to people if too much is consumed. Beagles are notoriously overweight if not exercised regularly. We began purchasing Sadie and Molly organic dog food as Sadie reached 7 yrs. old (considered "senior" by vet). 

I eat the same way.... Lean protein and veggies. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

The issue is not about grains, grains are not healthy for dogs.  They are nothing more than filler.  The issue is from the source of protein. Dogs need animal sourced protein that is not overly processed. 

Don't you find it strange that your doctor is telling you to eat more fresh and less processed foods while your vet pushes them on your pet. 

You hit the nail on the head, @CrazyDaisy , however, it won't be a popular post here.  People live and die by what their vet tells them.  I have had more than one vet tell me they know very ltttle about nutrition.  

Dr. Karen Becker claims that rice just ferments in the gut and yet, that is the first thing most vets tell you to feed a dog with the runs......boiled hamburg and rice.

Don't get me started on dry kibble.........Woman SadWoman Frustrated.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

A couple of years ago, the vet told me grain free was just a fad.  Nowadays, I find it difficult to find a high quality kibble at the groceery store other than grain-free.  Used to buy Fromm but when Petsmart bought out Chewy, Fromm would no longer sell to Chewy!

So, I've been feeding Eddy Crave which is grain free while giving him lots of veggies and fruits and some dairy - he loves milk, yogurt and all fruit and veggies.  (If I eat it, Eddy now wants to eat it.Woman LOL)  I now do subscribe and save on Amazonsmile.  Ordered a 5lb Victor which has grains (!) and will be getting that in our March order.  Noticed Victor, which is highly scored on the dog advisor, his gluten-free.  Looks like this will be the next thing they'll be pushing - gluten-free kibble!Cat LOL

Anyways, I do recommend (though I'm no expert) plenty of home-cooked veggies, fruits, eggs along with some meat, poultry and fish.  It seems to work for us!

Eddy says woof-woof to all furbabies out they, sending hugs and doggie kisses.  

P.S.  Imho, if it's healthy for us, it's healthy for them with a few exceptions - I always check.

Valued Contributor

@x Hedge  My 16 yr old kitty was recently diagnosed with thryoidism..not sure if hyper or hypo? Anyways,I asked the vet if he should eat grain free.He told me that grains are generally not an issue for cats.Better to eat purer protein. My ole guy is in pretty good health in general so I must have done something right!Cat Happy

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  Grains are not bad for dogs. Dogs have been eating grains for centuries.  I have never read anything regarding the protein source being the reason for the heart problem in dogs.  I have researched this very  intensely because I want to make sure I am giving my Sammie the correct and best food possible.  The research I read said it was the legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. Before Grain Free Food dogs always ate grains and there was never any mention of any heart problems for dogs during that time which leads me to believe that it is the grain free food that is causing the heart problems in dogs.  I suggest people speak to their vet if they have questions. 

Respected Contributor

Our vet, who is so knowledgeable about canine nutrition told us not to put our dog on grain free when we first brought her in as a puppy.  She's 9-1/2 and acts like she's 3!

Valued Contributor

I had to put my cat on grain-free food. It upset her tummy to where she had terrible gas- I mean room-clearing gas. Now that she is grain-free, no tummy trouble. And she loves it. I tried it with my dogs due to some skin issues but I didn't think they were getting all the nutrients they should be getting so I switched them back. 

Valued Contributor

My dogs LOVES raw carrots and raw potatoes, skins and all!