Trusted Contributor

I took my dog off of grain free food

After hearing everything I have about grain free food my hubs and I decided to take our 3 year old chocoalte lab off grain free food and put her on regular food.  I read an article by a well respected vet that said unless there is an allergy or sensitivity to grains there is no reason for an animal to be on grain free food. Our dog has no allergies or sensitivies at all.  Dogs have eaten grains way back to the beginning of time with no problem. I have heard that a few animals have had heart problems with non grain free food but those are rare.  Apparently it's the legumes in the grain free food that is causing the probllem. We feed her Canidae brand and it is an excellent brand. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I took my dog off of grain free food

I did that many months ago,  dcm scare came out,i have mine on  framina with grains.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

We just took our adult cat off gf for heart reasons too.

Now, struggling to find something she likes. Sensitive tummy.

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab 

Is your lab's name Winston by any chance ?

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

During our dog's last check up with the Vet, they stressed that we should not be feeding our dog grain free food.

Esteemed Contributor

Have to admit, I haven't followed this at all.

Has anyone heard about this negative issue applying to grain free CAT food too?  

I have one cat that consistently chooses the grain free, when given a choice. 

Respected Contributor

Cats are true carnivores, dogs are omnivores.

Never used that nutty health-food dog food--never will.  Just a silly human fad that was trying to be adapted to another species.

I would never avoid giving grains to my dogs, as it is part of their healthy diet. 

I also ensure my cats occasionally have fresh meat --chicken is their total favorite!

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz  No my dog's name is Sammi.

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab 

Thank you for the response.  Sounded like a friend and her lab....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

We had a cat that was wild about corn on the cob or any corn and we are talking not about butter either.  That same cat would wolf down green beans too.

We had a horse that loved boiled eggs.  And at least two Siamese cats that would not touch fish or seafood, and another two that wouldn't have anything with dairy in it.

Animals are like people I believe in that they are very different in what they like and don't like and eat and won't eat.  

My point here is that sometimes you have to try a lot of different things and not just assume that they like this or that or whatever just because they are a dog or cat. . . or horse.  I mean how many of us think of a horse loving a boiled egg as a treat?