Valued Contributor

I think my cat thinks shes a dog

I have got the funniest, weirdest calico. I bought a cat tree for her and it is in front of my  picture window. She plays on the tree once in a while. I also have a chair in front of the window. She (Clementine) will sit on the back of the chair, or the arm of the chair.  Never on the tree. But for the most part, she sits on my lap like a dog. I have never had another cat who behaved this way. 

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: I think my cat thinks shes a dog

Whenever I've had cats, they always curled up in my lap and so do my smallish dogs, just the same way.  Now I just have dogs but they don't get on any furniture, just my lap.  I don't think it ever occurred to either of them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

I have got the funniest, weirdest calico. I bought a cat tree for her and it is in front of my  picture window. She plays on the tree once in a while. I also have a chair in front of the window. She (Clementine) will sit on the back of the chair, or the arm of the chair.  Never on the tree. But for the most part, she sits on my lap like a dog. I have never had another cat who behaved this way. 

cookin

@cookinfreak 

My cats always preferred my lap to a cat tree but when I had things to do, they enjoyed their tree (after they were bigger, not little cats).  I have one that likes to play fetch.  I told the vet and he said it is not unusual for tuxedo cats.

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak Our cats always loved our laps AND their cat trees. More cats love laps than you might think!

Esteemed Contributor

I always had bigger dogs so they weren't really lap dog, although my German Shepherd mix certainly thought she should be! I usually sat on the floor so that she could lay over my lap.

The cats lay on my lap. The smaller of the two Siamese always wanted to lay as close to my face as possible. I used to call her my fur stole because she would sit on my shoulder and wrap herself around my neck. Dear girl passed away in December. Her larger sister is definitely a lap cat but she will play on the tree, too. She likes the level that lets her look eye to eye with me. I like it too because from there I can give her a whole body rub.

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak 

LOL .... my cat was only "okay" about his new cat tree until I sprinkled good quality catnip here and there on every level.  Now he realizes that it's his piece of furniture. and is on it daily.

I'm not sure Bogey has ever tried to sit on my lap ... usually he sprawls all over my LAPtop computer .... or sleeps on his corner of the bed.  Always nearby, but not on my lap.

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak  My cat won't use cat trees either!  She'll sit on a chair to look out the window, she also sits on the windowsill, which always looks somewhat uncomfortable - but will not use her tree.   There was one day, when I first got it for her she sat in it for a little  while (I was so happy).  I see now tho it was just to humor me.  She never used it again.  

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak 

Both of my cats use their towers.  One more than the other though.  They both also use other spaces as well but mostly stay in the sunroom - one in her tower & the other in her cat bed on top of the recliner seat.