Valued Contributor

I really thinking about fostering dogs.

Anyone a pro at this? Any tips I should know before going in? My kids are older (still living at home, but no longer 'needing me) so I need to nurture and mother someone/something. Strang, I know. :-/

Valued Contributor

Re: I really thinking about fostering dogs.

@CritterKeeper  Bless your heart!!!!! There is such a need for fostering, and you will be so rewarded because these babies are truly grateful when you take them into your home. There are so many stories out there about how these dogs show their appreciation through deep affection and loyalty. Wishing you a joyful new experience!!

Honored Contributor

I looked into it and was somewhat daunted by the procedure to qualify.  Still thinking about it.

Esteemed Contributor

As @furbabylover  stated, Bless You @CritterKeeper .  

You will be giving the kindest love and devotion to a furbaby in need!  This world definitely needs more loving souls like you - and particularly the furbabies.

The rescue people, after carefully vetting you will guide you through the process.  You'll be given instructions to follow to help you and the furbaby to successfully go through the entire process - as you must realize it may take time to acclimate.  Anyways, someone will always be there to guide you and help you both to succeed.  The rescue will also pay all medical expenses which may be required for your furbaby(ies), e.g., vaccinations, heartworm/flea pills, etc.  

I truly admire you for doing this.  I only tried becoming a foster mom once.  I flunked.  But, my furbaby, Eddy, kinda new I was gonna flunk out from the start as he had already chosen me to become his mama the minute we met!  I was his third and final foster!

It's really an easy process.  And, thank you!  You will be saving many lives.Heart

Regular Contributor

I have been fostering for about 5 years. I have my 20th foster right now.  The rescue I work with is really great. When you start to foster they give a mentor but you can also email the whole group, if you have a question. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I looked into it and was somewhat daunted by the procedure to qualify.  Still thinking about it.

@kaydee50 I always marvel at the blessed people who foster children.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to have them then let them go.  Who wonderful to be there for children and animals.  

I wonder if anyone has ever thought about pairing up foster kids AND dogs--maybe to comfort one another AND to go to "forever" homes together?

Esteemed Contributor

I have thought about it, but I have two dogs of my own, so it might be a bit too much for me.  Plus, I think I would get too attached to them.

However, I have taken in several strays and cared for them until I found them homes, so I think I could actually give them up knowing they were going to a good home.

I wonder what the average time is that you keep them.  Is this like several weeks or months?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Regular Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have thought about it, but I have two dogs of my own, so it might be a bit too much for me.  Plus, I think I would get too attached to them.

However, I have taken in several strays and cared for them until I found them homes, so I think I could actually give them up knowing they were going to a good home.

I wonder what the average time is that you keep them.  Is this like several weeks or months?

When I first started fostering the average time I had them was about 3 months. This year we have had so many applications that I don't have them for more than 3-4 weeks.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CritterKeeper 

Maybe consider fostering pets for a deployed soldier who is protecting our freedom and our country, but don't want to give up their beloved pets, while they're deployed.

I've done this several times and it was really rewarding, I built a bond with the soldiers (we still keep in touch) and seeing the sheer joy from both when they came home and were reunited was priceless.

https://pactforanimals.org/military-foster-program/

ETA: The average time for fostering a military person's pet for deployment is typically 5-7 months, at least the ones I did were, but you're always told how long the deployment is before you accept a military foster, so it isn't a years long foster.

That makes it much easier to not get attached, knowing their Mom or Dad will be home soon.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips I was just signing in to say that the only complaint I’ve heard from a friend who fosters is that she’d like to keep lots of them—. Not really possible for her