Honored Contributor

Re: I really need some opinions on adopting another dog.

You must understand that dogs don't share the same emotions or responses that we have.  At most, your old dog would be a little jealous of the attention you give the new dog, so you'll shower the older dog with affection.  Sometimes adding a new dog revitalizes the older pet.  You don't mention the sex of the animals, but dogs of the opposite sex are the most likely to get along, especially if one is a little "pushy". 

I would go ahead and get the new dog.  Let us know how it goes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Drythe you have gone through so much yourself. Blessings to you, This rescue center won’t hold the dog. They are very strict. You almost have to give give a kidney to get approved to adopt from them. This dog is so perfect for me but I must consider my sick dog and this has me torn.  I have been searching different rescue places for dogs but this dog is the only one that really I go back to. The worst part is On New Year’s Eve I always use to put the two dogs on my lap and we would watch the ball drop. This year I think my lap is going to be empty unless I find another dog.

Trusted Contributor

Kachina624   I never realized that dogs don’t share emotions like we do.  I guess I’m just going on my emotions trying to figure out how this dog would feel. The two dogs are females. 

Honored Contributor

@Vickiv

It sounds like your heart and soul are speaking to you. Your other dog may enjoy the companionship also. 

Your Christmas wish has come true....call and bring the new family member home.

Bless you ❤️

Honored Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:

Drythe you have gone through so much yourself. Blessings to you, This rescue center won’t hold the dog. They are very strict. You almost have to give give a kidney to get approved to adopt from them. This dog is so perfect for me but I must consider my sick dog and this has me torn.  I have been searching different rescue places for dogs but this dog is the only one that really I go back to. The worst part is On New Year’s Eve I always use to put the two dogs on my lap and we would watch the ball drop. This year I think my lap is going to be empty unless I find another dog.

Sounds like you need to do the adoption.  Thinking of you--I know this is a hard decision.

Trusted Contributor

butterfly123  Thank you. I guess other people see my words and understand my feelings better than me. Sometimes when you think you’re all alone and can’t make a decision and other people with their kind words and thoughts really can be a big help.

Trusted Contributor

YorkieonmyPillow Thank you. I think at times she just stays for me.

Respected Contributor

@Vickiv  If your current dog is that close to passing, will you have the time and energy to acclimate a new pet during that process?  I know I wouldn’t be able to...I would focus on my current dog and when the time comes trust that another good pet friend will be found.  

But that’s me...you know what you are able to do.  I’m really sorry about your precious dog. 

Trusted Contributor

alicedee. This is why I am so undecided. It’s hard for me to find a new dog and yet I don’t want to be without one. When my Yorkie was so sick I lost a lot of sleep but always managed. 

Frequent Contributor

I don't know if it's possible for you, but we were able to introduce our dogs before adopting our 2nd one.  They were able to spend a little time together and we decided it was a good match.  It's been several years and they have become very close.  I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  I'm sure you'll make the right decision.  You're obviously a great mom!

It's the little things.