Honored Contributor

Re: I really need some opinions on adopting another dog.

@Vickiv,   You may want to put your current dog down and I don't mean it in an uncaring way.  He could be in pain and you don't want to see him suffer until he dies.  Take him to the vet and you can hold him if you like and the vet will put him to sleep peacefully.  It's the humane thing to do.  Then you can consider adopting.  I understand how hard it is.  Over 10 years ago I had to put my Siamese cat 19-1/2 to rest.  She was hardly eating and it is too cruel to see an animal waste away because I did not want her to leave.  She is in animal heaven now.  Cat Sad

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

goldenretriever  What  a nice ending to a sad story. Thank you. I have a female and someone said to get a male. Better companion for her. It’s confusing.

Trusted Contributor

KatCat1  I know this is what I have to do in time. She is not ready just yet I can tell. I do know I dread the day. She is not in pain. My vet I sees every few weeks just to check on her. Thank you so much for your advice. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This probably isn't the popular opinion but I'm going to put it out there anyway.  First of all, I'm sorry for what you've already experienced and what you're currently going through.  We get so attached and devoted to our pets that it's unbearable when the inevitable comes.  DH and I tried to have dogs when our kids were young and it was a big mistake, we were terrible at it and too busy of a family to really give a dog the attention it needs.  We found other good homes for them and waited YEARS for the right dog to come along.  By the time that happend our kids were grown.  In all those other years, we had cats which were much easier.

I am 60 now and our dog is about to turn 6 in February.  I love him like crazy, but our experience with him hasn't been without a fair share of work in care and training.  He's healthy, lively, and I believe he has a lot of years left but every now and then I see those "last day" videos and fall apart thinking about that eventual day.  Wanting to adopt another dog is admirable since there are many who need homes.  But is it practical?  I suspect our dog will be around at least until I'm 65 or so.  I know for a fact I will never love another like I love him but I also have to ask myself if I really want to start all over with another dog and all that comes with it at that stage of my life.  Honestly, I think no.  When I'll be anywhere between 65 and 75, I can't say that I'd have the energy or will to keep up with the daily demands, but I also have to consider the fairness to the dog.  If he would outlive me, then what?  Because of the amount of work involved, I believe it's usually harder to place dogs than it cats.  Over the years we've had several cats, the most being 4 at the same time.  All had passed away before we got our dog.  Since adopting our dog, we added a kitten almost a year ago.  It was easy and the two of them get along great.  IMO, cats are easy and they need homes too.  Local humane societies and rescues always seem to have them available.  Rather than adopting another dog later in life, I would probably opt for a kitten.  In the event that I would pass away first, DH would be fine having a cat in the house.  If we both died, I know one of our kids would take it in.

Good luck in whatever you ultimately decide to do.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I want to adopt also.  We are retired, and our current dog is ten and in good health.  In the last two years we lost two dogs.  One was our son's dog, but that dog lived with us two months out of the year.  We loved her so much!

Our Vet recommended that we adopt.  He suggested a male dog because our ten-year old is a female.  He said she will be wonderful in "training" a new dog.  I know she will enjoy some playing too.  She used to be a pack of three.

@Vickiv

I think it would be wonderful if you adopt.  Dogs do keep us younger! 

I am sorry, Vicki, your dog is not well.  It is so hard to lose our beloved family members.

Respected Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

Our Vet recommended that we adopt.  He suggested a male dog because our ten-year old is a female.  He said she will be wonderful in "training" a new dog.  I know she will enjoy some playing too.  She used to be a pack of three.

Susan, it's so true- that's exactly how it works. I've seen it happen that way my whole life. It's beautiful to watch. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

When you find the right dog, or they find you, I say go for it.  It is not like this is a puppy that will require your full attention.  The new addition will provide you as well as your current dog company and comfort. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.