Honored Contributor

Re: I really don't know what to do with picky eater

@tends2dogs:
Thank you for the suggestions. 

Yesterday it was rainy so my husband suggested we take Scooby for a ride  since he wouldn't get much of a walk. He is a collie and 70 pounds. So we rode around with his window open, so he could check out the world.

We were close to a Sam's Club. So I suggested we should stop and get some ground turkey. I figured if I also made something for us with the ground turkey, Scooby would be inclined to eat it.

Well, it is pouring rain. The line to get into Sam's Club is all the way up the side of their building to the next store in the center. We figure it would take awhile just to get into the store. And since one of us would have to stay in the car with Scooby neither one of us was anxious to stand in the rain for 20 or more minutes.

So will try on our next grocery run.

We have been giving Scooby Nutra Thrive. But since he doesn't always eat, it gets thrown out alot. We also just bought PupGrade Joint Support and we used to give him Nutramax Cosequin but he wouldn't eat the tablets even if we broke them up. 

His hind end collapses and we think having Lyme Disease isn't helping him as he ages.

My brother gave us a tube of supplements (He got the supplement for his dog) but Scooby didn't care for it. My brother's dog lapped it up.

I sometimes think that Scooby just wants to make sure we stay on our toes when dealing with him. And he shows that he is the alpha dog of the household.

Honored Contributor

Re: I really don't know what to do with picky eater

Too much selection

get Vet to see if he's/she's ok first.

My dog on some days eats better when hand fed, since that's what she learned from the person who owned her  before us.

But if she's well or he, will eat, when good and hungry.

We do cut up little carrots for our dog for her meal.  Not all meals.

Some days she only wants one meal a day.  It varies.  When hungry she'll eat.

she gets small portions, since she's a smaller dog.