Honored Contributor

I really don't know what to do with picky eater

Well, today is day #3 of our dog's "hunger strike".

He has always been a difficult eater. As soon as we think we find a food he likes, he refuses to eat it. On occasion he was eating Fresh Pet. So we went out and bought 3 tubes, he refused to touch any of them.

My husband cooks something for him every meal. He either cooks chicken breast, hamburger, chicken livers or hot dogs. We also give him 4 different brands/type of dog food with each meal.

Friday he would not touch any of his food. Saturday he would not touch any of his food. So I gave him some of my Eggplant Parmesan, he ate all of it so I gave him some spaghetti too. He ate it all. Today he would not touch his food. My husband keeps cooking something to add but he still won't eat. 

So for his dinner tonight he only got 4 dog foods and chicken breast. My husband didn't cook anything else for him. The dog did not go near his bowl. I could not go to bed thinking that the dog has not eaten all day. So I sat on the floor and hand feed him. He ate every bite and even licked the bowl. He has been back to his bowl twice looking for more food?!?! 

What is going on with him? It was the same food my husband put together for his dinner. That he refused to eat. And now he is looking for more of this food that he refused to eat?

Since my husband does all the cooking, ordering and feeding of the dog. He is beside himself and I suspect he is ready to give the reins to me because he is so upset. But I really know I could not do any better. We tried just about every brand of dog food on the market and in every form. The dog really seems to only like "human" food but we want him to have dog food since it is better for him. He has enough health issues.

Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: I really don't know what to do with picky eater

@drizzellla    Has a vet checked him?  He could have a bad tooth.  When my dog gets picky, I "ice" her  dog food with vanilla yogurt.  She loves it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla    Has a vet checked him?  He could have a bad tooth.  When my dog gets picky, I "ice" her  dog food with vanilla yogurt.  She loves it.

You are right about that. His teeth are horrible. We got him when he was about 6 or 7 years old. He was at the Vets about once a month in the beginning. He had/has lots of issues.

The Vet guessed that he was in a cage and did not want to be. So he tried to chew his way out. His teeth are worn down to the gum line. And his jaw is also worn away. He has teeth farther back in his mouth. 

And that is also why we now are giving him Merrick Pate dog food as one of his foods. It is well ground up and soft. But he also seems to have no problem eating the dry food that is for his joints (when he feels like eating). 

I will try and add yogurt to his food. But that can be a problem. Even when he stands and watches my husband cook his meal, he walks away when my husband puts his bowl down. He doesn't go over to see what is in the bowl. So the yogurt will lose it's chill before he notices.

He does like vanilla ice cream - every time we go to Brusters they give him a dish. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ohhhh, you're not gonna like this.

We had an early generation Bengal cat that had tremendous digestion problems  Finally found out a raw diet cured him.  Am I suggesting a raw diet?  Well, no.

Rocko then tormented us while WE ate - jumping on laps, shoulders, even though we would also feed HIM 4 ft. away at the same time! 

FINALLY gave up after a week of this... stuff...and set him a place.

Rocko dinner.jpg

He was fine with this until we adopted his great-grandma and saw her eating at the floor.  He quickly joined her.

Rocko needed to eat with companions, I guess.  (This is when we need a rolly-eye emoji.)

Maybe your dog is similar?

ETA:  I'm not saying get another dog, but I'd try having you and your husband alternate feeding him to see if he eats.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

Dinner PAWsible: A Cookbook of Nutritious, Homemade Meals ...

There's alot of good recipes in this cookbook, good luck with your search. 

Honored Contributor

Denisemb - I have thought about a raw diet but I don't have the nerve - right now.

But you may be right about needing an eating companion. He was one of 10 collies. And I suspect it was a communal feeding style. He was one of the youngest in the group, so suspect he wasn't a big eater.

Well, we haven't given him "breakfast" yet. We are waiting until he acts hungry(HA!). So maybe I will eat lunch sitting next to his bed and see what happens. Worth a try. I am glad I planned on eating left over antipasto salad for lunch. He won't be trying to eat what I will be eating.

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

Dinner PAWsible: A Cookbook of Nutritious, Homemade Meals ...

There's alot of good recipes in this cookbook, good luck with your search. 

Did not think of looking for recipes - thanks for the suggestion.

We had numerous recipes for threats. And so we made a bunch of different treats. He did not eat any of the threats that we made. 

Super Contributor

I know how frustrating a fussy dog can be.  I had the same experience with FreshPet  And I can't tell you how many bags of food we bought and she rejected.  Our pet food bank loves us since they got all her rejects. . 

I know that our dog is a nervous nelly and she won't eat unless I am sitting right next to her.   But, even then she wouldn't eat more than two or three bites .. which is not enough to maintain a large Shepherd. 

The vet kept insisting that she would finally eat when she got hungry, but she didn't.  She just got skinny.   We tried the medicine to stimulate her appetite and that didn't work either.   

We finally gave up and started feeding her frozen raw food.  (She wouldn't touch the freeze dried raw).  It is pricy, but she scarfs it up in a matter of seconds.  

I have no idea why she refuses to eat.  She's always been this way, even when she was 8 weeks old.    

But ... hang in there ... at least the dog is eating people food and isn't starving.  

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

You are right about that. His teeth are horrible. We got him when he was about 6 or 7 years old. He was at the Vets about once a month in the beginning. He had/has lots of issues.

The Vet guessed that he was in a cage and did not want to be. So he tried to chew his way out. His teeth are worn down to the gum line. And his jaw is also worn away. He has teeth farther back in his mouth. 

And that is also why we now are giving him Merrick Pate dog food as one of his foods. It is well ground up and soft. But he also seems to have no problem eating the dry food that is for his joints (when he feels like eating). 

I will try and add yogurt to his food. But that can be a problem. Even when he stands and watches my husband cook his meal, he walks away when my husband puts his bowl down. He doesn't go over to see what is in the bowl. So the yogurt will lose it's chill before he notices.

He does like vanilla ice cream - every time we go to Brusters they give him a dish. 

@drizzellla   It sounds like you should start with a Vet visit about his teeth.  If the Vet doesn't have any advice, I would ask for a referral to a Veterinary dentist.  He might need to have all of his teeth pulled if they're that bad.  They could really be hurting him.  I'm very sorry you and your husband and your dog are dealing with this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Maybe try to puree the food in a blender?