Valued Contributor

Re: I put an application in for a dog at a dog rescue

[ Edited ]

We adopted at our SPCA- which is brand new and expanded- I had no intention - but it was only 5 min away and since we hadn't had a dog in years (because my husband says I "mourn" too much when I lose them- (I"m "older" btw)----ANYHOW- no intentioin of adopting but would  stop in  every now and then to pet and talk to them - some seem so scared and some were so excited -and just wanted some attention-- - One day I went and w/o knowing- it was puppy adoption day (usually they don't have a lot of dogs and what they do have are older ones or a lot of pits (which are great too but not my husbands favorite) And if you want a young puppy - you have to pay in advance to be put on a waiting list!- A young lady saw me petting and talking to them as I went by and struck up a conversation with me- we went all around talking and petting the dogs - various ages- and at the very last one- I stopped dead in my tracks- there was a beautiful brindle pup- 6months old and his 2 brothers larger and different colored than him and jumping all over him to get my attention- but no- I said "be still my heart" to the young lady and she said - well if you want you can put him on hold for $30 and if you decide you don't want him you get your money back- after hesitating - I said I'm going to call my husband to come see him and 10 minutes later we were filling out papers- EXCEPT that we couldn't bring him home that day because he had been neutered (their policy) I had every one of my dogs neutered and never had to wait over- night to take them home- ANYHOW_ next day we go to pick him up and here he comes all happy to see us and we him. We get him home and I'm looking at him and he seems larger and didn't have the same gold colors in his coat- and I said to my husband- check his papers- well the papers said he was a female- so I said well we have to take him back tomorrow because how can we get him licensed? When we go back with him- a lady comes out and we told her he looked different and he's a male not a female and she says OH- well- THE PEOPLE WHO GOT THE DOG YOU WANTED CALLED EARLIER AND SAID THEY GOT THE WRONG ONE AND THEY WANTED TO KEEP IT!!!! (WHAT?????????!!!!) I said WELL WHAT IF WE WANT THAT DOG? AND SHE SAID-WELL WE'D HAVE TO CALL THEM AND ASK THEM TO BRING IT BACK AND IF THEY WON'T- WE'LL HAVE TO SEND THE POLICE!!! (BUT of course I had already falled in love with the one we had except I was furious that we never would have known about the switch- they had time and SHOULD have called us and told us we got the wrong one and they figured they wouldn't say anything except they got caught in the switch when  we had gotten female papers-- On top of which- there was absolutely NO other dog with those brindle colors when I went through with the  young lady- so I have NO IDEA where they got another one with the colors-(unless I suspect he was brought back by that  family and the SPCA allowed them to take the one I had picked thinking we would never know---his brothers didn't look anything like him so it wasn't that) 3 days later- he starts limping- we take him to OUR vet - $600 later -I call the president of the SPCA -- he doesn't respond- he has some woman call - We go there with him for his proper papers and complain about the "SWITCH" and ask them to help pay the vet bill since the vet said it for sure had happened at the SPCA (wasn't serious) but xrays etc --- The woman was extremely rude- we were in the main foyer with plenty of witnesses and we again said this was not the dog I originally put on hold and she said YES IT IS- and I said no- the other woman admitted another family got the one I picked but of course I am keeping this one now- I just want to know if you'll help with the cost of xrays etc. since he was injured here- and she screams at me - HE IS THE ONE YOU PICKED AND IF  YOU HAD BROUGHT HIM TO OUR VET- MAYBE WE MIGHT HAVE HELPED!!! i SAID -- WELL YOUR VET DOESN'T EVEN KNOW A MALE FROM A FEMALE SINCE YOU GAVE US THE WRONG PAPERS (WHICH YOU CONVIEINTLY took IN BACK AND MADE UP NEW ONES  ALONG WITH HIS TAG    AND GAVE US NEW PAPERS AND CHANGED HIS CHIP AS WELL!!!  BY THAT TIME MY HUSBAND WAS GETTING REALLY RILED AND SAID FOR US TO LEAVE- SINCE THEN THIS PUP HAS COST US A LOT MORE MONEY  BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE FIRST 6 MONTHS OF HIS LIFE- HE HAS BEEN HARD TO TRAIN. SO the moral of my story is- DON'T TRUST THE SPCA--- THEY SWITCH AND LIE AND THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS ONCE THE DOG HAS LEFT THE PREMISES.....Btw- he is a hound/boxer- (doesn't look anything like a boxer but then again- the spca doesn't know a male from a female!) I love him dearly but he is definitely a handful.  P.S.- Originally the SPCA used to brag they were a no kill shelter- but that turns out to be a half -truth- they just give it to another shelter or foster and let them do the deed. I would not recommend them ever now.

.SO moral of my story is YES- ABSOLUTELY ADOPT! but make sure you do some real investigaing on the background of the foster places and the age and health of the dog you're looking for-.GET it in writing that you can take it to your vet and if things don't check out- then you get your money back - The  SPCA is a well known source been around for ages obviously not so great after all. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck, hope you get the new dog.

People need to understand there are differences between shelters and a rescue.  Even rescues can vary.  It all depends in funding what they can do for the animals.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Good luck, hope you get the new dog.

People need to understand there are differences between shelters and a rescue.  Even rescues can vary.  It all depends in funding what they can do for the animals.  

Yes, very true. Occasionally a rescue organization will find out about a grant, which are very few and swamped with applications. They have to survive on donations only. Rescue organizations have to pay for food and all of the other essentials plus transport, humane crates, and vetting. Each animal has to be tested for heart worms, parasites, teeth and oral condition, and must be immunized with all of the required shots such as rabies. Rescue organizations have to pay for all of an animal's medical bills. Sometimes the surgery alone costs thousands of dollars.

What really makes me mad is some people are willing to pay large amounts of money to a BREEDER but COMPLAiN and CRITICISE rescue organizations for what a they charge. Furthermore, breeders SELL animals. Rescue organizations SAVE animals.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am sure the odds are against me with all the people looking for dogs, but, I went ahead and submitted my application.   It was for an English Setter. I will follow up if I hear anything back.  The cost to adopt is $600. 

@SeaMaiden, I hope you get the dog!! Please let us know when you get the news!

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am sure the odds are against me with all the people looking for dogs, but, I went ahead and submitted my application.   It was for an English Setter. I will follow up if I hear anything back.  The cost to adopt is $600. 

@Silver Lining   Thankyou   I will let you know.   I am not too hopeful as  many of the rescues are not too good at getting back to people who apply  from my past experience.  I will just wait  and hope if it is meant to be it will be. 

Trusted Contributor

@queendiva This is a little off topic, but it's nice to "meet" another Eskie owner!  A lot of our friends had never heard of an American Eskimo until we got our puppy 4 years ago.  He is a bit high maintenance but we love him to death, he's the sweetest boy.  I could do with less barking at people and shedding, but I wouldn't trade him for anything!

Esteemed Contributor

@lkat : yes -we Eskie owners are a rare breed, LOL!

My dog was listed as a Spitz on Petfinder. I was unfamiliar with Spitz and Eskie. Love at first sight. Mine was also very "chatty", always had to have the last word! True to his breed, he loved his children. He would turn heads when I walked him and required relatively little grooming. Fierce guard dog. How he and my mother loved each other!

After my purebread Eskie rescue passed, my kids forbid me from getting another and "replacing" him. They were grieving. Six months later I rescued an Eskie / Coton de Tulear puppy who turned 12 last month.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Silver Lining   Thankyou   I will let you know.   I am not too hopeful as  many of the rescues are not too good at getting back to people who apply  from my past experience.  I will just wait  and hope if it is meant to be it will be. 

@SeaMaiden 

If it were me, I would put on a mask and gloves and go to the rescue location.  Maybe being assertive in this case will pay off!  Do it!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

So true! If at all possible you should try to actually  SEE the dog and the conditions which it is living under. Applying for a dog that is not in your area is a bit risky at best. BTW- I don't work for Amazon- but they have a program that any purchase you make through them -they will donate some to a rescue of your choice. smile.amazon.com is the address and it's the same things you would normally order on just "amazon.com".

Respected Contributor

WOW!  six hundred bucks!  At that price, no wonder why they're pumping out like hot cakes!!!!!!!!!!