Honored Contributor

I put an application in for a dog at a dog rescue

I am sure the odds are against me with all the people looking for dogs, but, I went ahead and submitted my application.   It was for an English Setter. I will follow up if I hear anything back.  The cost to adopt is $600. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: I put an application in for a dog at a dog rescue

@SeaMaiden    Thank you for choosing to adopt, not shop.  The doggie sounds adorable and I wish you luck and hope that your application is the one they choose.  But if not, please consider adopting another dog.  There are so many animals that need furever homes.  Thank you again!   

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden Wow...that is a lot of money....is that a usual charge to get a rescue pet?  I know they have expenses, so I guess that is why the charge.

I am glad you feel ready for a new dog, and hope you get one who will be perfect for you.  ❤️🌷

Valued Contributor

Good news and good luck!

Honored Contributor

That is a very high adoption fee, putting adoption out of the reach of many people.  I work with a collie rescue group and our fee is $250.  We often get  dogs with physical problems that require extensive vetting so it doesn't nearly cover the actual cost.  We have generous benefactors.

I adopted a collie from our group that developed a severe immune disorder.  They spent about $10,000, on her care at a speciality vet clinic.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

crossing my fingers for you!

We just adopted a dog on Monday from the Humane Society Smiley Happy

Last Thursday, I saw a picture of the most handsome, adorable dog, I put in an application right away, but had to wait until the next available appt on Monday to see if he would still be available. All weekend, our family prayed that no one else adopted him. When I arrived for the appt, I asked, "Is Hank still here?", and the volunteer said, "yes, this way", I literally started crying tears of joy. Hank has stolen our hearts and home! 

#adoptdontshop

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for adopting. I volunteer at a shelter.

@alicedee prices can be a little higher if you go to a pure breed rescue, but much cheaper than if you went to a mill, breeder or pet shop for the same dog.

My buddy paid $2000 to a "breeder". The 12 week old dog had never been outside or touched grass. It was gated off in her kitchen. My friend felt like she rescued the dog.

ETA it took my DD several applications before she rescued her new fuzzy face.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@SeaMaiden Wow...that is a lot of money....is that a usual charge to get a rescue pet?  I know they have expenses, so I guess that is why the charge.

I am glad you feel ready for a new dog, and hope you get one who will be perfect for you.  ❤️🌷

@alicedee    The fee depends on the rescue... the age of the dog... etc. They come all vet checked... spade... shots... with a healthy checkup.  I have paid as much as $300 for just a rehoming fee  so I guess $600 is not out of the question for an adoption fee from a rescue. Plus yes, it helps to cover their costs to rescue the dog.

This particular  dog was used as a Hunting dog I guess and did not do her " hunting job" well... so she was tied up all the time at her last home.  She would Never be tied up at my home... I hope I hear back 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden At first I thought wow, $600 until I saw the explanation. We only ever adopted cats and even with being spayed, getting chipped and shots it was a lot less. But now I get it.

I pray you get this dog. It actually makes me cry when I hear of dogs being mistreated and IMO this dog was. Who keeps a dog tied up?

I had to quit watching Pit Bulls and Parollees because I just cried so much.

Please let us know and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Rescues in our area charge $250 too.

Like your Collie, Kingston was found with extensive burns that cost a whole lot more than the $250 to treat.

Forever grateful to our rescue groups!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.