Respected Contributor

Re: I put an application in for a dog at a dog rescue

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Wahoogaz  @lolakimono  And everyone who posted 

I  am  right now talking to someone looking to rehome their  4 month old puppy due to their son having allergy issues.    We are just in the email phase now....but we are working on a meet and greet here maybe next week. I always remain open to the fact it may not work out.  I figure that if it does not workout, there is something better in the future that is coming...the dog I am meant to be with is still out there.  Most of my dogs have been  rehomes or rescue  dogs. And they all were wonderful companions to us.  

UPDATE:   Well, the meet and greet fell through🙁....onward I go forth 🙂❤️

@SeaMaiden 

I believe that you will find the right dog--or I should say that you will find each other!  My son went looking for a dog three different times.  He found the right dog on the third try!  And the dog couldn't be more perfect!  They are soul mates.  You can see a picture of the dog (my granddog) with my post!

Focus.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz - I had experience of a similar rescue group when I lived in England.  We wanted to adopt a dog, rather than buy from a breeder.  Well, the lady from the rescue called me and started with a barrage of questions.

I answered them all:  where did I live, did I have a fenced-in yard (yes), did I live on a busy street (no), who was my vet, what was my income (I declined to give an exact figure), would someone be able to come assess my home (yes).  On and on.

Until she asked how many bedrooms we had in our house!!!  I said "WHY?  Does the dog need one of its own?!"  Never heard back from her after that.  (We ended up getting a Golden Retriever from a reputable breeder.)

Also, the RSPCA, when we wanted to adopt a cat after losing ours.  To say the woman was downright rude is an understatement.  When she saw us looking at a beautiful kitten she all but snarled at us that we had no chance.  Then, because I worked part-time (at an office 5 minutes walk from my home), said we couldn't possibly adopt a kitten as we would cause it permanent psychological damage by not being there all day.  (We did have another cat, so it wouldn't have been on its own.)  I wish I was making this up, but I'm not.

I've had cats my entire life and I won't go into what I said to her, but we left and never tried to adopt from any off those organizations again.  (And we took the donation of food and money we were about to hand over with us!) 

I support a no-kill cat rescue here now and they want to adopt out the cats and kittens they rescue to loving forever homes.  I've gotten three of my cats from them.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I hope you keep trying.

I am basically in the same boat.  I want to adopt a Chihuahua - young adult.  Definetly NOT a puppy.  Breeders are out for me.  Besides there are none nowhere near me.  I live in South Joisey.

I am currently buying "dog" stuff.  The majority of stuff I am waiting for the Thanksgiving - Christmas sales.  I will be ready to "adopt" starting in Jan 2021.  I figure I should get picked between then & spring. 

All I got now is a dog crate that comes w/feeding bowls, fluffy cage bed & cage cover.  Price dropped so much I could not pass that up.  Got it before it sold out.

N.J. is still a "hot" State nearing meltdown.  The selters in my area are all online.  You cannot visit the shelter to view the animals.  All viewing is done online. icon_exclaim.gif  All adoptions are done thru applications first come first served.

Even the pets at Petsmart & Petco, you have to go online even though the dogs are right there in the store! icon_exclaim.gif I complained to the store manager & he stated, the dogs & cats are there for "show."  Have to fill out an application & get in the back of the line w/everyone else.

Chi's get adopted fast once posted.  So what I plan on doing is viewing the shelters in my area at midnight.  That is when I noticed new adoptees are posted.  If I see a Chi per my specifications, I will be first to jump right on it.

Come Jan 2021, I won't see not one Chi at any shelter w/my luck.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I emailed the rescue about my application.....she emailed back that they received over 3000 applications on the dog I was interested in....they chose 50 applications that were people knowledgeable about the breed....and she was already adopted out,

I will never again apply to a rescue.  They should have let applicants know they were not selected.... at least with a email....rather than have a person WAITING TO FIND OUT FOR  WEEKS😡

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I emailed the rescue about my application.....she emailed back that they received over 3000 applications on the dog I was interested in....they chose 50 applications that were people knowledgeable about the breed....and she was already adopted out,

I will never again apply to a rescue.  They should have let applicants know they were not selected.... at least with a email....rather than have a person WAITING TO FIND OUT FOR  WEEKS😡

Did you get any of your dogs from a rescue? I thought your lab was from one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Did you get any of your dogs from a rescue? I thought your lab was from one.

@goldensrbest   No. All my other dogs were from rehoming...and all WONDERFUL dogs❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️.  I thought I would try rescue, but the hoops and barrel jumping is just  too much for me.   I guess I will stick with rehoming for now. I tried several years ago a rescue and again the communication was just terrible with them. They wanted all your information including your bra size(joke) and then never had the courtesy to just email you that you were not selected. 

Super Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Wahoogaz - I had experience of a similar rescue group when I lived in England.  We wanted to adopt a dog, rather than buy from a breeder.  Well, the lady from the rescue called me and started with a barrage of questions.

I answered them all:  where did I live, did I have a fenced-in yard (yes), did I live on a busy street (no), who was my vet, what was my income (I declined to give an exact figure), would someone be able to come assess my home (yes).  On and on.

Until she asked how many bedrooms we had in our house!!!  I said "WHY?  Does the dog need one of its own?!"  Never heard back from her after that.  (We ended up getting a Golden Retriever from a reputable breeder.)

Also, the RSPCA, when we wanted to adopt a cat after losing ours.  To say the woman was downright rude is an understatement.  When she saw us looking at a beautiful kitten she all but snarled at us that we had no chance.  Then, because I worked part-time (at an office 5 minutes walk from my home), said we couldn't possibly adopt a kitten as we would cause it permanent psychological damage by not being there all day.  (We did have another cat, so it wouldn't have been on its own.)  I wish I was making this up, but I'm not.

I've had cats my entire life and I won't go into what I said to her, but we left and never tried to adopt from any off those organizations again.  (And we took the donation of food and money we were about to hand over with us!) 

I support a no-kill cat rescue here now and they want to adopt out the cats and kittens they rescue to loving forever homes.  I've gotten three of my cats from them.  Smiley Happy

@Venezia  It can be very disappointing. I hate to complain about any individuals/groups involved in animal rescues, but sometimes they seem to act like people who get involved in Homeowners Associations. They probably start out with good intentions, but then the power just goes to their head and they forget why they started doing what they're doing.

We're actually having a bit of a public argument with some local folks and our city animal shelter right now. They post both lost/found animals and adoptable animals on their website, so we're able to see what animals may be coming up for adoption after their hold period. Their policy states that after the hold period, animals will go up for adoption ... first come, first serve ... local residents before rescues. Under covid policy, they schedule appts. for people to visit an animal and they have first crack at the animal ... and you can't request an appt. until the day the animal is officially up for adoption. Well, thanks to local animal-related Facebook groups, people are finding out that, against their stated policy, the shelter has been shipping the most desirable dogs straight to rescues and not giving local folks a chance to adopt them. One person who said they were affiliated with the shelter posted to one of the Facebook groups that they send those dogs to rescues because no one here was worthy of having them. I think the next shelter stakeholders meeting could be very interesting.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  How is your "search" going?  Any updates?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My nephew and family just adopted their second rescue dog.  I think it is wonderful people reach out to these animals and give them homes they deserve.  Sadly there are so many animals in the shelters, it is heartbreaking.

However, I am happy for you and hope you have your loyal loving dog soon.  There is no doubt you will have many years of unconditional love from a grateful pet!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   Good evening!  Not much happening right now....A few disappointments...keeping my feelers out there and figure when the right dog is meant to be ours....that dog will come.  Thanks for asking🙂