Respected Contributor

Re: I put an application in for a dog at a dog rescue

I forgot.  Another reason why these dogs are so ill and have tons of issues is because they're in-bred.  Breeders are so hungry for money and they do it just for money, that they breed close relatives.  I knew people that HAD to have a pedigree and after paying a LOT of dough, the dog started with eye ulcers, skin issues, you name it.  I told these people, do your home work.  Don't just get a dog from anyone selling or adopting agencies.  They didn't and got burned.  I don't get why people just don't go to a shelter and get one for free.  One that's not a pedigree.

Honored Contributor

@77yangya   This rescue is a rescue for ALL kinds of pets... not any one breed ... mixed  whatever... cats , birds, all animals that need new forever homes. They do come from all over the country and go to foster until adopted forever. 

Trusted Contributor

@MandyG06   Thank you for that wonderful photo!  Hank is adorable, and your kids are beautiful.  And that cat, well that cat is just too cute!  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Eight years ago, I began a search for a dog around one year old to be a buddy for my girl pup.  I thought it would be easy, as I had been in rescue for years and there were always too many dogs and cats needing homes.  It took me at least three weeks to finally adopt a dog all sorts of issues in between, dog was just adopted, etc.  I paid $200, and he is the most beautiful, obedient, smart little dog, both are mixes.

I hope you find the dog of your dreams.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Good luck, hope you get the new dog.

People need to understand there are differences between shelters and a rescue.  Even rescues can vary.  It all depends in funding what they can do for the animals.  

Yes! Rescues get dogs in many different situations and sometime have to doctor them back to health. Full breed rescues are really great and do a lot of good for dogs who would more than likely be euthanized due to health of behavioral issues. Shelters do not do all the hard work that rescues do. 

Honored Contributor

I still have heard nothing back.  Seems to be the same situation every time I put a request in to a rescue. I know my home and  our love to offer  to a dog is not in question. I think that there are too many people right now looking for dogs.....and that is good. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Is the dog still listed on the rescue site?

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Is the dog still listed on the rescue site?

@lolakimono  No. I am sure they received many many applications.  They say they go through all of them and decide who to consider. It is not first person first chance. Everyone has an equal chance.   I figure if I do not hear back by next week, I lost out. 

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I still have heard nothing back.  Seems to be the same situation every time I put a request in to a rescue. I know my home and  our love to offer  to a dog is not in question. I think that there are too many people right now looking for dogs.....and that is good. 

I didn't have any luck the two times I tried to get a dog through rescues. First one wouldn't even let me fill out an application because they said my English Setter was too big to be a playmate for the 30-some pound mutt I inquired about. The second rescue sent someone to my house to do the home check. He said everything looked great and started to leave ... then came walking back up my driveway and said he felt he had to let me know that he'd been voluntering for this group for 8 months and the women running the rescue hadn't placed a dog that whole time. He said I probably wouldn't hear back from them (I didn't) and he was pretty sure he was done voluntering for them because he wanted to work with people who really wanted to place dogs in permanent families. I'm sure there are a lot of great rescues out there ... I just haven't dealt with them. All of my babies have come from breeders or shelters. I know there's a dog out there somewhere for you. If you don't hear back about this dog ... keep searching. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wahoogaz  @lolakimono  And everyone who posted 

I  am  right now talking to someone looking to rehome their  4 month old puppy due to their son having allergy issues.    We are just in the email phase now....but we are working on a meet and greet here maybe next week. I always remain open to the fact it may not work out.  I figure that if it does not workout, there is something better in the future that is coming...the dog I am meant to be with is still out there.  Most of my dogs have been  rehomes or rescue  dogs. And they all were wonderful companions to us.