Super Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

@catlvr  Is your puppy girl spayed?  Sounds like a dominance/romantic act. 

Get her spayed before her first heat and reduce her chance of breast cancer by over 300%.

All dogs LOVE tootsie rolls (poop)full of delicious cat protein smells. 

I kept my litter box in a large cardboard box to stop the buffet.

Take charge of your cat.  "Own him"

Place yourself between the cat and the pup and using your body language, face your pup and she will submit to your ownership of the cat. You are the boss.

@Lapdog, thank you for that.  She is spayed.  We did it before her first heat.  She was 6 months old at the time.  I do put myself in between them and tell her loudly and clearly "No".  

The crazy thing is that the cat she goes after waits for her outside our bedroom door when she is no allowed to roam the house.  He sits there and cries for her.  It's so pathetic and kind of funny.

Honored Contributor

@catlvr  Your house sounds like a three ring circus. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@catlvr  Your house sounds like a three ring circus. 

@Kachina624, LOL, it does feel like that at times.  I also have a horse.  Thank God he doesn't live at my house.

I really love this puppy.  But man, I hope I can get through the puppy time.  She is our first dog so we have zero experience.  

catlvr

Valued Contributor

I've not had any dogs, but once had a male cat who was very rough with a young female kitten.  My vet suggested spraying the upper back of the kitten and the scruff of her neck with a pet spray called Sour Apple.  It didn't seem to bother the kitten, but the male cat was definitely repelled by the taste on the kitten's fur.  We kept at it for several months and the problem seemed to solve itself.

I don't know if it was the spray or not, but thought I'd pass this hint along.

Super Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

I've not had any dogs, but once had a male cat who was very rough with a young female kitten.  My vet suggested spraying the upper back of the kitten and the scruff of her neck with a pet spray called Sour Apple.  It didn't seem to bother the kitten, but the male cat was definitely repelled by the taste on the kitten's fur.  We kept at it for several months and the problem seemed to solve itself.

I don't know if it was the spray or not, but thought I'd pass this hint along.

Thank you.  I have Sour Apple at home and I will give this a try.

Valued Contributor

Most excellent.@catlvr Your kitty sounds a lot like my Siamese.  He never knew he wasn't a dog.  He seemed to enjoy the dogs torture.  I had many at the time!  I had a couple that delighted in humping him and while he complained, he was bigger and could have gotten away.  If they could only talk and tell us what they think! 

Honored Contributor

@catlvr    I just want to add that I have two goldens.  One is 7( I adopted her at 11 months old and I have had her for about 6 years.  The other is 3 and I have only had him about 9 months.  

I have birds-- two cockatials and a parakeet.  They are set up in the dinning room.   My older female 'GETS" that the birds are off limits.... you do NOT HURT THE BIRDS... She gets it... the one cockatial I have had for 25 years will walk around on the carpet right next to her and she will just look at him and leave him alone... she KNOWS that we are all a family people, birds and her..... lola is very smart and sweet Smiley Happy 

Now, my newer Golden male does NOT GET IT.  He may never GET IT. I have to now have gates up  to keep him out of the dining room area where the bird cages are and where the birds stay.  He is OVERLY INTERESTED  in the birds... less so now than at first, but still I know that if he ever got into the dining room he would try to kill them( his natural instincts).  

Being that your pup is a pup still, I am sure in time he will learn to respect the cats as part of  "pack". No doubt you have done everything you can and now it will just take time. 

With my older adopted  Golden, he may never really get "IT" and I probably will never totally trust him with the birds...

It has a lot to do with their personalites... my female golden Lola is calm, relaxed and mellow... Zazu the male golden is  anxious, more curious and a bit bipolar I guess I might call it....  

Frequent Contributor

If you don't have indoor cats, the dog is fair game on the poop eating.  I have to fence off my indoor cat's litter pan to keep my dogs from snacking on the droppings.  The poo is high in protein making it enticing to dogs...so outdoor versions are a buffet!

I sharply correct one of my small dogs if she even lunges at one of my cats.  It's not quite as violent as what you're dealing with but I'd keep a short leash on the dog and yank it when an attack occurs.  Hopefully,she gets the message !  Feel sorry your cats are subjected to this and hope the dog adjusts to being around them in a peaceful manner.

Super Contributor

UPDATE:

To all of you:  Thank you for all the great comments and suggestions.

To the folks who said "this is just how they play.  Let them figure it out", I decided to go with that strategy and after just 3 days of letting the puppy be with the cats there is peace in my house.

The puppy still goes after her favorite cat but much gentler and often actually ignores him.  Right now the puppy is asleep at my feet and her favorite cat is asleep on the sofa 10 feet away.  I think all of our yelling and interfering with them was just amping up the situation.

I still won't leave them together when we go out but when we are home they are free to interact.  You have no idea how much you have helped me.  This situation was driving me around the bend.

Thank you, thank you!!!

Super Contributor

So glad things have worked out for you. It's wonderful when there is harmony in the house!