Super Contributor

We have 3 4-year old cats.  They are siblings.  Two boys and a girl.  They are great cats.

In March we got a puppy.  A Bichon Frise.  She is now 7 months old.  For the most part a great dog BUT she will not stop attacking one of the male cats.  She climbs on his back and drags him down and drags him by the scruff of the neck.

He is a big cat (bigger than her) but he just kind of goes down and meeows a bit and sometimes he swats at her.  

I am really trying to make her understand that she has to leave him alone.

She also goes after the girl but the girl is fast and runs away and she will definitly let the dog have a swat.

The other male, the dog is terrified of.  He sometimes intervenes when she gets too rough with his brother.

Any ideas for trying to improve relations between these too.  Oh yeah, there is one more thing...she eats cat poo!!!!  What the heck is that all about.  I try to get in front of that all day long but inevitably I miss a poop and she's all over it.  Gross!!!

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, I would think the cat would either avoid or show his dissatisfaction if he did not like these interactions with the puppy.  Perhaps that is just hiw they "play".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

They are just playing, you would hear lot of kitty squealing if the kitty didn't want to participate. Eating poop is very gross, but apparently irresistible to dogs. It goes on in our house too! 

Honored Contributor

@catlvr-

I'm wondering if your puppy is trying to have "relations" with your cat.

They don't really have a preference with species most of the time.

And I don't know what to tell you about the eating of the cat doo.

Our dogs did it too-I know gross-we just tried to keep them away.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Do you think he's terrorizing the cat?  If so, you need to get help from a behaviorist and figure out how to stop this.  It doesn't sound like a good situation.  I would correct the dog every time he does this and would never leave them alone together when you're gone.

As far as eating cat poop, the only way to prevent that is to put the litter box somewhere that the dog cannot get it.  I used to keep my litter box in the tub in the guest bathroom.  The cats could jump in and the dogs couldn't.  When one of my cats got too old and sick to jump in the tub, I had a "cat hole" installed in the bathroom door and just kept the door closed all the time.  I ordered the cat hole from cathole dot com.  It was very easy for my handyman to install and is not unattractive.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: I need some advice

[ Edited ]

@catlvr The dog is still a puppy.....it appears by what is going on that  he does not have any boundaries.  He needs to learn what is acceptable and what is not. Otherwise your home is  not going to be a happy home.

I suggest hiring a behaviorist to work with you and the dog.  Has the dog gone to training classes? Does he sit stay etc on command?  He most likely needs this.

Honored Contributor

@catlvr  As for the cat poop... ever hear of the seafood buffet?  Dogs love to get into the litter box and that litter can make them very sick. 

You need to teach your cats to show some gumption.  Usually a cat will put a dog, especially a puppy in its place.  I don't know how you do that.  I'm a dog person. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Goldenmoher.  I agree that they are playing.  I have had a small dog, a ferret and 3 cats at the same time.  The dog I purchased from a breeder and the others were rescues.    They are played together each in their own way.  Some played rougher than others.  The dog was older so she gave her look and a low growl that everyone respected.  The cats could hiss or swat and climb to their high places.    Everyone did just fine for many years.  They had the run of up and downstairs so there was room for all.   The ferret had a 3 story cage with toys and hammocks in the bathroom so he saw the others when I went to work.  He was out when I was home.  Ferrets are hoarders and collect everything and put it in there stash.   Nothing is safe.   ;-)

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@catlvr The dog is still a puppy.....it appears by what is going on that  he does not have any boundaries.  He needs to learn what is acceptable and what is not. Otherwise your home is  not going to be a happy home.

I suggest hiring a behaviorist to work with you and the dog.  Has the dog gone to training classes? Does he sit stay etc on command?  He most likely needs this.

Hi @SeaMaiden...she's got boundaries. I've been working very hard on socializing these two and they are only together when I am with them.  She has done puppy classes and does sit and down on command.  She is still learning how to stay.  This is a work in progress for sure.

Valued Contributor

@catlvr  Is your puppy girl spayed?  Sounds like a dominance/romantic act. 

Get her spayed before her first heat and reduce her chance of breast cancer by over 300%.

All dogs LOVE tootsie rolls (poop)full of delicious cat protein smells. 

I kept my litter box in a large cardboard box to stop the buffet.

Take charge of your cat.  "Own him"

Place yourself between the cat and the pup and using your body language, face your pup and she will submit to your ownership of the cat. You are the boss.