Valued Contributor

I need advice for our puppy that's arriving in March.

He is due to be born at the end of January and my husband and I are so thrilled we are finally getting a German Shepard to be part of our family. We already are owned by 4 cats, we had 6 but we've lost 2 over the years due to old kitty age. We would never in a million years think we need to find the cats a new home, this is where they live so I need advice on a situation that has me grossed out.

I was told that the dog will go in and eat out of the cat box, OMG how gross, I cannot live knowing my dog will be chomping on cat turds.

Somebody help, what do we do about that, how do we keep the dog from not doing that?

Thanks in advance, Snickers thanks you too, he just doesn't know he does.....haha he's not born yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: I need advice for our puppy that's arriving in March.

[ Edited ]

Congratulations on getting your new puppy!  German Shepards are so beautiful.

Litter boxes can be a problem.  I had two dogs that wanted to do that.  I put the litter box in the tub in the guest bathroom.  That tub is pretty much never used.

When one of the cats got sick and couldn't jump in the tub, I bought something called a Cat Hole and had it installed in the door.  I ordered it from cathole dot com.  I just kept the bathroom door closed, and the cats went in through the hole.  It isn't unattractive at all.  Maybe one of these solutions will work for you. You could also put it in the laundry room if you have one.  You'll have to come up with something or you might have a problem.

Here's a picture of the Cat Hole.  This isn't my cat.  I took it from their web site.

KathrynCatDoor2c.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Yes, they will do that.  My labradoodle and maltese will also go out and eat rabbit and deer poop.  Gross it is.  I think the only thing to do is not allow the pup where the litter box is. Since he is young that probably wont be to difficult.  It just off limits. Just watch , not much else you can do.

Trusted Contributor

I agree. You need to find a place where the litter box is not accessible to the puppy. You should do that right away so the cats can adjust to give the cats time to adjust. You also need to make sure the puppy doesn't get access to cat food. Dogs love cat food but it can make them quite ill.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

You will simply have to find a place for the litter box that the puppy can never get to. This behavior can make the puppy sick. Ask me how I know. HA!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack, that Cat Hole is fantastic!!! Thank you!

Yikes! I can understand dogs eating rabbit and deer poop since it's loaded with barely digested vegetation and dogs might be looking for that extra fiber in their diet. But cat poops that are rolled and coated in litter, ewwwwww how awful!
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
@Nicknack, that Cat Hole is fantastic!!! Thank you!

Yikes! I can understand dogs eating rabbit and deer poop since it's loaded with barely digested vegetation and dogs might be looking for that extra fiber in their diet. But cat poops that are rolled and coated in litter, ewwwwww how awful!

@x Hedge  Great!  If you order it I hope it works for you.  I don't understand how they could eat it and the litter either.  It's disgusting.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I don't have a cat now but when I did, we referred to the litter box as "the seafood buffet".  The only solution is to make the litter box inaccessible to the dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you NickNack, what a great solution. I am going to find one of those for sure. problem solved. Yes I will figure out something regarding keeping the dog from the cat food also. Thanks to all of you!!! 

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you NickNack, what a great solution. I am going to find one of those for sure. problem solved. Yes I will figure out something regarding keeping the dog from the cat food also. Thanks to all of you!!! 

@gulf coast girl  You're welcome.  I know it will work for you.  It's perfectly safe to order from the cat hole website.  I bought mine many years ago, so they've been in business a very long time.

-Henry David Thoreau