Super Contributor

thank God you got her away from the bad owner. mine are from horrendous lives too. she will give you so much joy and love just for rescueing her you wont believe it!

thank God for people like you out there to rescue these sweetest of souls!

good luck and God bless! Smiley Happy

Contributor

Poor baby.  My toy poodle scratched a spot raw on his neck.  Realized it was the long acting flea and tick collar.(scalibor) Had to give him benedryl till it was healed.  He scratched for 10 days.  Finally got it healed .  Its made for humans but I put a small dab of calmoseptine on when he was scratching bad.  It seemed to help.  Your pharmacy may have it.  Got mine on amazon  Its good for bug bites burns etc.   My friends yorkie swallowed a sewing needle.  Cost her over $500.She has a four inch incision on her little belly.  She pulled the thread hanging from her mouth but couldnt find the needle anywhere.  Good luck finding the cause for the awful rashes.  Be sure to let everyone know how she is doing.

Super Contributor

Re: I need HELP Please

[ Edited ]

Maybe posting here helped the Doggie Guardian Angel hear my plea because the vet just called with a cancellation for Monday.  Not ideal but I'll take it.

Forgot to mention she does not have fleas or ticks and had her wellness checkup just over 2 weeks ago.

Thank you all for your concern and suggestions.  

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Honored Contributor

@harcon  I'm so glad you're getting in on Monday.  My sister's shih tzu scratched herself like that.  They tried switching diets and Benadryl among other things.  Nothing worked until the Vet put her on Apoquel.  That really does work.  

I would make a follow-up appt when you check out on Monday.  That will get you back in sooner than if you called later.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@harconwrote:

Maybe posting here helped the Doggie Guardian Angel hear my plea because the vet just called with a cancellation for Monday.  Not ideal but I'll take it.

Forgot to mention she does not have fleas or ticks and had her wellness checkup just over 2 weeks ago.

Thank you all for your concern and suggestions.  

@harcon

Yay! Monday is much better than 2-3 weeks!

Please let us know what the vet says!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

It can take 6 weeks before a result in a changed diet is seen.

First, get PURE aloe vera from a health food store.   Lily of the Desert is a good brand.   Slather that all over her to stop the itchies and heal the skin.   It is safe for her to ingest, so don't worry about her licking/biting herself.   It feels sticky at first but quickly absorbs into the skin.   

This could be emotional or allergy.   The dog could be allergic to many things---fleas, soaps and perfumes (think of detergent in washing of clothes, blankets), and environment

(what has changed outside).   The best shampoo for dogs is oatmeal / aloe based.   I used the allergy formulation of GNC shampoo at PetSmart.   

Esteemed Contributor

We have good friends who have a dog with similar skin issues.  The vet kept saying allergies -- didn't know to what.  All he would do is give her shots. They tried that and EVERYTHING else.  What finally worked was feeding her raw hamburger and eggs.  That's all she eats.  She is back to the beautiful dog she once was.  Hair all back, no scratching or scabs or anything.  Please look for other answers outside of your vet.  Your pup is lucky to have you.  Good luck!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

@ Puppy Lips and everyone

I'm writing down all of your suggestions for future use if needed.

Adding...she had steriod shot, has been on script food close to 2 months,  detergent was changed , I changed my body wash & shampoo, no perfumes.  Live in Michigan so made sure humidifier was used to help her skin not get dry.  

I'll post after seeing the vet.  Late appt. so may not be till Tues.  I appreciate all of your help so much.

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Trusted Contributor

Steroid shot lasts 6 weeks and, sometimes, the allergies come back with a vengence after that time.  

Use the pure aloe vera as a leave on rince.   It will stop the itchies and give her peace and less stress.   

My landlord had a cocker with the most terrible skin condition I have ever seen.   After trying everything imaginable, he got relief from a raw food diet and DermMagic dog shampoo products (developed by a Seattle human dermatolist for her dog).   

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisywrote:

Seems that the vet should be able to get you in for a recheck since what was prescribed is not working.  If he will not accomodate you find another vet.  I would never let my dog suffer like that waiting for an appointment.

@CrazyDaisy ..... I agree .... this vet sounds like a looser ..... I would never let my dog suffer that long!!