Esteemed Contributor

@harconwrote:

I have a 4 yr old Yorkie who is a rescue from a bad owner.  She has been with me for 5-1/2 months.  Sweet little girl.

She had some pimple like things on her chest and the vet gave me a spray to use.  Didn't help a lot but then 2 months later she broke out all over and was scratching like mad.  Vet thinks food allergy so she is now on prescription food, bottled water, script shampoo for weekly bath and Benadryl daily.

She seemed to be getting better but she started scratching again until she has bald patches on her back and scabby patches.  Can't get her into her vet for 2 weeks and local vet is booked for 3 weeks.

Anyone ever face this before?  Other than this she's a healthy girl.

@harcon .... get the puppy to another vet ASAP .... DONT LET HER SUFFER FOR 2-3 WEEKS .... SHE COULD GET A SERIOUS INFECTION!!

Honored Contributor

I would have to find another vet.  They don't keep open spots reserved for emergencies throughout the day?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I need HELP Please

[ Edited ]

@harcon  my dog was itching himself raw.  Nothing I tried topically worked.  Bathing helped some, but not for long.  I switched him to raw feeding and it was like he was a new dog.  I couldn't touch his ears before because the flaps were covered with sores.  That was healed in a week.  The body itching was cut in half within a week.  Two months later he has no sores, no itching, and the spots are growing in new hair. 

I fought raw feeding for years, but now I would never go back.  Your little girl wouldn't eat that much and you can get it premade and frozen.  Just thaw and feed.  I would give it a try.  It is freeing from the sprays and pills. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

She received an injection for the dermatitis and is on oral liquid  antibiotic for the secondary infection plus to stay on the Benadryl.  She has a follow up appt in 2 weeks.

I will get the aloe and try the vinegar in her water.

@tends2dogs

What is the name of the food you're using?

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Respected Contributor

@harconwrote:

She received an injection for the dermatitis and is on oral liquid  antibiotic for the secondary infection plus to stay on the Benadryl.  She has a follow up appt in 2 weeks.

@tends2dogs

@harcon, I'm so glad you could get the appointment and treatment was started. My little Yorkie has skin problems a few times a year, especially when the weather is warm. His skin tends to be oily and gets little bumps. When he has a flare-up I bathe him at home with a veterinary formula antifungal, antimicrobial, antibacterial shampoo. It is good for the treatment of bacterial pyoderma and allergic or fungal dermititis. You can buy it from a vet or in many places like Petco and other big box stores with pet departments. The active ingredients are benzethorium chloride and ketoconazole. 

If he is itching a lot the vet may give him a cortizone injection maybe once a year and he can have a measured dose of liquid benedryl everyday. He's a very picky eater which surprises me because the scumbag who ran the puppy mill barely fed the "breeding stock" since they were not on display like the puppies and kittens that were being sold. My little guy was approximately 18 to 24 months old and used for stud. He is not on a special diet although he has been a few times. A major thing is to avoid food or snacks containing red dye.

Keep us posted on your little girl's progress.

Super Contributor

@Silver Lining

i see your yorkie is from a puppy mill. So is mine. She was the mother and I saw the video of the place when it was raided. It would make you cry, did me. 

Oh what this sweet tiny girl lived!!!  I vowed to give her so much love to try and make up for every minute of hell and make her forget it. She has more love than she can contain now Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

so does my puppy mill Maltese rescue!! Smiley Happy 

oh why aren't puppy mills out lawed ?

Esteemed Contributor

@harconwrote:

@tends2dogs

@harcon  It is called PRIMAL PET FOODS, inc. They offer a frozen grind that I use for Willie.  It comes in 5 # and 2.5# logs.  They also offer a freeze dried version, a frozen nugget form to name a few.  Google them.  It is all human grade.  It costs more than a bag of Purina, but the benefits have outweighed the cost.  No more vet visits, no more drugs, and best of all, no more sores or itching.  That, to me, is priceless.  I hope if you try it, it works for you.  It sure did for Willie!

None of us want to watch our babies suffer.

Esteemed Contributor

@harconwrote:

@tends2dogs

@harcon  Be careful about putting vinegar on open sores.  It can really sting them and then your babe will be shy of you putting anything on her going forward.  The aloe is soothing and so is baking soda.

Respected Contributor

For two weeks, try NO GRAIN and NO SUGAR diet of any kind ... could be yeast or allergies.  My dogs had similar symptoms as you described, and those things were the culprit.  (Molasses was in my dogs' "healthy" dog treats, there is no need for companies to use this ingredient.)  

Please keep us updated on your little fur-baby.

Super Contributor

@tends2dogswrote:

@harconwrote:

@tends2dogs

@harcon  Be careful about putting vinegar on open sores.  It can really sting them and then your babe will be shy of you putting anything on her going forward.  The aloe is soothing and so is baking soda.

Tends, the vinegar is not for her body but a few drops in her water.  I'm not doing anything until I see how she does after this injection.  I will look into the Primal foods.  The script food she's on costs $$ so I'm guessing Primal can't be all that much more.  Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Grow old my body but stay young my heart