Frequent Contributor

I can't believe I somehow messed these up.  I peeled and sliced a sweet potato as thin as I possibly could.  After two hours at 200-degrees they were still raw so I put them in for another hour and now they're just about edible but nothing I would give anyone as a snack or even a dog.  I won't even make them again but it sure sounded like a great idea.

Valued Contributor

UPDATE on dog treats and @weight watcher I am sorry they did not work for you. 

I have an electric stove if that means anything.

I made more, as they were on sale for 50 cents eachSmiley Happy

After washing and removing any blemishes. I sliced up 8 sweet potatos.

I used the Genius Chopper Mandoline. Much nicer than my knife work previously.

Baked them for 2 hours at 200 (turning them occasionally until they were crispy) I used 2 cookie sheets 2 13 x 9 and one glass dish.

Cooled and in the freezer they went.

Got most of a gallon and 2 quart size bags.

I wonder if it would work for potatos?

Frequent Contributor

Lapdog, I too have an electric stove.  I'm so disappointed, I really wanted these to be a good snackfor me and my 'adopted' neighbor dogs.  Maybe your mandoline made them thinner then doing by hand although I really tried to get them as close to paper thin as I could.  I used my corning ware roaster lined with parchment paper, do you think that made a difference. 

Honored Contributor

@Lapdog,  Good for you and good for your dogs!  Who knows what's in those pet shop, grocery store treats.  Homemade is the best for your loved furry pets.  I have a cat and she will not eat store bought treats.  I never tried homemade treats.  She does like banana.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@weight watcher wrote:

I can't believe I somehow messed these up.  I peeled and sliced a sweet potato as thin as I possibly could.  After two hours at 200-degrees they were still raw so I put them in for another hour and now they're just about edible but nothing I would give anyone as a snack or even a dog.  I won't even make them again but it sure sounded like a great idea.

I put mine in the oven at 250 degrees for three hours and flip them over after an hour and a half and they are dry and chewy.  Mine are not paper thin.  If you want them crispy, you would have to bake them longer.

A 200 degree oven sounds too cold to me.

Frequent Contributor

Carmie, thank you, I have another sweet potato and I think I'll give this another try.  250-degrees for three hours might do the trick.  I'll let you know.