Valued Contributor

My Beagle girl is on a novel Sweet Potato food to see if she has allergies to her other food.

So far not much success seeing any positive change. 

I wanted to offer her a special treat which was not, just more of her dog food.

I sliced up some sweet potatoes and baked them on pans at 200 degrees for about 2 hours.  Stirred them around a couple of times.

Did not add anything.

They are all different shapes and sizes as I used a knife.

Cooled and refrigerated.  I will freeze some of them.

Success!!   Both my dogs love them.

Honored Contributor

@Lapdog I make them for my dogs too.  They love them.

My grand kids love them too.  Sometimes I cut them in rounds and sometimes in sticks. I store them in the refrigerator, they never seem to last long enough to make it to the freezer.

Honored Contributor

What a great healthy idea!

And what a good doggie mommy you are!Smiley Happy 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

@Lapdog, @Carmie, how thick do you cut them, and what texture do they end up being, like french fries?

Honored Contributor

@summerwind  If I cut them in sticks, I make them on the thin side, sort of like the FF they serve at McD.p, maybe 1/8 inch thick.  The thicker you cut them, the longer they will need to be in the oven.

The texture is dried out and wrinkled, but still a bit chewy in the center.  The round ones tend to get dryer, but not brittle and still chewy.

i use parchment paper on my cookie sheets when am put them in the oven as they get sticky.  I have tasted them myself.  They are excellent and sweet, a good healthy treat.

if I had a dehydrator,  I would make them in there instead of the oven.

Super Contributor

Re: I made dog treats

[ Edited ]

@CarmieThank you! I am definitely giving these a try, after Thanksgiving, they sound perfect for my little girl. And my g'daughter and I, also Smiley Happy. And thanks for the parchment paper suggestion, I forget about that.

Valued Contributor

@summerwindI made thin slices like chips.  Not evenly cut. 

They do shrivel  and are chewy.   They are so good I am having trouble sharing!!  Woman LOL

I am going to cut them in sticks and will try using Chef Tony's chopper the next time.

3 potatoes made about 3/4 of a gallon bag.

I did not have anything extra in the pan with no problems, but I will use the parchment for the sticks.

Super Contributor

Oh, thank you! Just reminded me I have a slicing attachment for my KitchenAid, sounds like just the thing I need. Then I can chop some in small pieces for my little girl, after they cook.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to make my  babies when I had dogs homemade treats all the time, they heard the lid on the container open and I could not get them out fast enough, I also used to make then a friend of mines dog also, in face will be making some and sending to her dogs during this holiday.

Made home made cat treats for the feral cats we feed, they would not touch them, LOL.  So back to Pounce for them!

Super Contributor
I make these with my Cooks Essentials Electric Mandoline. I use them myself as a substitute for tortilla chips when I make nachos. Never thought to give my dogs any! I will have to try it out (if there are any leftovers!)