Respected Contributor

Re: I'm so worried about my cat

Could you lay down some carpet runners so he has a traction path through the rooms?

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace  I'm so sorry your BooBoo is having so much trouble with his arthritis.  It's very hard to see them struggle.  I hope your Vet is able to give him something else or adjust his dose so that he's able to function normally.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Maybe instead of pain meds. the cat could get some relief by lying on a heating pad. My cat Moe is 15 and gets around pretty good, he loves the heatng pad and when we turn our coal stove on in the winter he lays right next to the stove.

blackhole99, I smiled when I read your post. We have heating pads and electric blankets all over the house to help him stay comfortable. We also have stair-steps designed for small pets next to our beds so he can climb up, visit us, and get comfy.

The things we do for our pets! :-)

Honored Contributor

I understand how much you can love your furbaby (right now I have 2) in the past I've had many (all cats).

Anyway, I was wondering if you've thought about acpuncture?  Yes, they have it for animals.  I don't know if you live near a larg(er) city but I know the people that perform it on animals are everywhere these days.

I have a dear friend (for now over 50 years) who takes her dog (a cockerpoo, (sp)) to one.  She lives in Springfield, Va (if you live near there).

Over the years, my friend has had dogs live for as long as 20 years!  She even takes this dog to the spa and has her teeth cleaned once a month.  I was over to her house recently and when I saw her dog I said, "Good grief!  Her teeth are so white....they glisten"!  

Check around and I'm sure prices vary.  It's an alternative and/or an addition to medicine.  

I have one cat (Katie) who sometimes (when weather is bad) will limp slightly.  I've had it x-rayed, etc. and (as I've bla blaed about) one of my best friends is a surgical nurse for my Vet) and she says the Dr (and she) thinks it's a tiny bit of arthritis.  She's still pretty young but as time goes on if it's like me (I'm 71) arthritis only gets worse, I will probably find an acpuncturist near me....although Katie the cat HATES me and everyone.  I can't get close to her after at least 7 years still!  It won't be easy but ..... where there's a will (right).....

Take care and please let us know how your furbaby is doing.  Fondly, Annabellethecat/Linda

Respected Contributor

Hi again @FuzzyFace,

I wanted to post again about the glucosomine product that I mentioned in my post last night.  I knew it was a common brand - easily available, just couldn't think of the name!  It's consequin for cats, it contains glucosomine and chondroitin (hope I spelled that right).  It's capsules that are to be sprinkled on food.  I see also they've just come out with some chews for cats too.  Maybe check it out.  Not particularly expensive, but for us it was very effective and we did try other brands too.  this was our choice product.

I think you've gotten alot of great suggestions in other posts!  I'm glad to see you have those pet stairs as they're amazing.  The cbd oil @Pook mentioned is a good possibile option for pain control.  There are some, I've heard, that are very appropriate for pets.  I'll say again about the accupuncture which @Annabellethecat66 also mentioned.  It can be very effective for arthiritis relief.  And as a treatment for dogs and cats, it's more common at vet offices than you would think.  From my experience with Sammy, my cat, I would see if someone also has the capability of cold laser, which would add to the efficacy of the accupuncture.  If I had to choose just one of them, honestly I might choose the cold laser as the more effective, but not completely sure about that.  See if you can find someone who will do both.  The treatments are no big deal for the kitty, at least it wasn't for mine.  At all.   It was very easy and pretty quick!!  @ThinkOutsidetheBox that's very interesting about the b-12, I had no idea!  Thanks for that info!  Also,  I second what @candys mine said.  If lack of traction is a problem, buy and lay down tons of throw rugs, runners, etc. so kitty can get by.

Was Booboo's arthritis diagnosed by xray?   

Thinking of you guys ...... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars Thanks for the update/reply.  It seems like so often people will come on and ask a question, we all respond our ideas and we never hear what happened or any feedback.  So, it was nice of you to come back to us!

As far as the cold laser, I've never heard of that.  I know about cold something (forget what it's called) for human 'sculpting'.  I've watched celebrities get it.

I'm not exaggerating about my Katie (the cat).  She is afraid of everyone (even me) and everything.  She will lay up against me sometimes when Bill the cat and I are laying in bed watching TV.  However (this is not an exaggeration) if I even twitch she jumps up and leaves the room!

You have no idea what my friend (the Vet's nurse) and I have to go through to catch her to get her to the Vet for check ups.  Bill is total opposite.  He loves everyone and is just like a dog!  He comes and sits on my chest right under my chin.  He'll sit there purring for as long as I'll let him.  He'd go home with anyone.  Even people who really dislike cats love Bill (what's not to love...right?).

Well, take care and thanks again for the reply.  Hope you continue to post here.  Your input is much appreciated.  Annabelle/Linda

Valued Contributor

They put my 12 year old dog on Rimadyl for arthritis and she had some kind of seizure  after a few days. I got on line to read about it and it had a lot of bad side affects. Now I just give her half of what they prescribed when I feel she is limping or hurting and certainly not every day  and they said it could be given like that instead of every day. I am scared to give her one every day, even though I cut the dose amount down.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars wrote:

Hi again @FuzzyFace,

I wanted to post again about the glucosomine product that I mentioned in my post last night.  I knew it was a common brand - easily available, just couldn't think of the name!  It's consequin for cats, it contains glucosomine and chondroitin (hope I spelled that right).  It's capsules that are to be sprinkled on food.  I see also they've just come out with some chews for cats too.  Maybe check it out.  Not particularly expensive, but for us it was very effective and we did try other brands too.  this was our choice product.

@I think you've gotten alot of great suggestions in other posts!  I'm glad to see you have those pet stairs as they're amazing.  The cbd oil @Pook mentioned is a good possibile option for pain control.  There are some, I've heard, that are very appropriate for pets.  I'll say again about the accupuncture which @Annabellethecat66 also mentioned.  It can be very effective for arthiritis relief.  And as a treatment for dogs and cats, it's more common at vet offices than you would think.  From my experience with Sammy, my cat, I would see if someone also has the capability of cold laser, which would add to the efficacy of the accupuncture.  If I had to choose just one of them, honestly I might choose the cold laser as the more effective, but not completely sure about that.  See if you can find someone who will do both.  The treatments are no big deal for the kitty, at least it wasn't for mine.  At all.   It was very easy and pretty quick!!  @ThinkOutsidetheBox that's very interesting about the b-12, I had no idea!  Thanks for that info!  Also,  I second what @candys mine said.  If lack of traction is a problem, buy and lay down tons of throw rugs, runners, etc. so kitty can get by.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DH and I took Boo to his vet (the previous one retired) and she talked our heads off about different kinds of treatments. For now we're giving him fish oil--just a little, once a day to start--and I can't tell if it's helping or not. I do know that he's a lot more alert now that he's not getting sleepy all day from the previous pain medication, so I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see what happens. It sure is nice to see his goofy personality wake up again.

Thank you for thinking of us :-)

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@moonandthestars wrote:

Hi again @FuzzyFace,

@I think you've gotten alot of great suggestions in other posts!  I'm glad to see you have those pet stairs as they're amazing.  The cbd oil @Pook mentioned is a good possibile option for pain control.  There are some, I've heard, that are very appropriate for pets.  I'll say again about the accupuncture which @Annabellethecat66 also mentioned.  It can be very effective for arthiritis relief.  And as a treatment for dogs and cats, it's more common at vet offices than you would think.  From my experience with Sammy, my cat, I would see if someone also has the capability of cold laser, which would add to the efficacy of the accupuncture.  If I had to choose just one of them, honestly I might choose the cold laser as the more effective, but not completely sure about that.  See if you can find someone who will do both.  The treatments are no big deal for the kitty, at least it wasn't for mine.  At all.   It was very easy and pretty quick!!  @ThinkOutsidetheBox that's very interesting about the b-12, I had no idea!  Thanks for that info!  Also,  I second what @candys mine said.  If lack of traction is a problem, buy and lay down tons of throw rugs, runners, etc. so kitty can get by.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DH and I took Boo to his vet (the previous one retired) and she talked our heads off about different kinds of treatments. For now we're giving him fish oil--just a little, once a day to start--and I can't tell if it's helping or not. I do know that he's a lot more alert now that he's not getting sleepy all day from the previous pain medication, so I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see what happens. It sure is nice to see his goofy personality wake up again.

Thank you for thinking of us :-)

@FuzzyFace

Glad to see that your precious boy

seems to be responding to the fish oil!Cat Very Happy

Sending him tons of special healing

prayers and positive energy.Heart

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Respected Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

Hi @FuzzyFace,

I'm sorry to hear BooBoo isn't feeling well Smiley Sad  If your vet is sure what is going on with him is althritiis, then I wanted to pass along some things that I found to be very effective for my cat Sammy.    I started him on a glucosamine supplement - it was one made specifically for cats.  I can't remember the brand right now, but I'll try to find it for you, as that one was very effective for Sammy.  It came in a capsule and I sprinkled it on his food, which miraculously he would still eat even though I added it!!  Also, he received treatments of acupuncture and cold laser.  The combination together was incredible for him.  So effective!!   You might check to see if there are any vets near you that offer that treatment. Obviously, not all treatments work the same for everyone or every cat, but  I would highly recommend you guys give it a try.  

Sending good thoughts your way ....

@moonandthestars  Are you referring to Cosequin for Cats?  I have used this for years as my cats have aged and it seems to help.  It comes in capsule form which I sprinkle over the food...never has been any objection from kitties.  I get it from Amazon, prices offered are good!