Trusted Contributor

My beloved Katie, 14 1/2 years old, went to the Rainbow Bridge on Saturday, June 3, at 9:15 a.m.  She had been having some problems and the vet diagnosed Cushings disease and an enlarged heart, both of which were very treatable.  However, when taking an x-ray, they noted a large tumor in her abdomen which was pushing up on her stomach and the stomach was pushing up on the lungs and the heart.   In addition, several small nodules were noted by her heart.  So, I had to make the decision to put her down.  My heart is broken.  She was such a sweetie and gave so much meaning to my life.  But, I knew she would not get better and only would suffer, so I had to say good-bye.  I'm 74 years old, so I won't be getting another pet.  

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

@wismiss  I am  so so sorry for the loss of your sweet Katie. It's so hard to let them go when we love them so much. I hope her memory and the love you both shared will be somewhat of a comfort to you.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss 

My heart breaks for you.  Saying good-bye is the hardest thing to do for our loving pet who loved us unconditionally.  You did the right thing.  You would never have wanted her to suffer. Someday your tears of sadness will become tears of beautiful memories of your beloved Katie. Please take care. 💔🐶💔

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@wismiss   I am so very, very sorry!  Nothing hurts worse than saying goodbye, even when you know you are doing the kindest thing for your pet.  You will be in my prayers!

Super Contributor

@wismiss @I am sorry for ur loss. I am also very sad, as I lost my boxer Ellie last Wed. She had a brain tumor on her pituitary that caused Cushings and a rapid decline. She could not tolerate any Cushing meds😥 Saying good-bye was one of the hardest things I have ever done. My house is quiet and lonely. I send u prayers for ur pain to lessen. My heart is 💔

Respected Contributor

It's heartbreaking and I do know how you feel. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also in my early seventies- when our next pet passes away, we also will not be replacing. My oldest dog is 16 1/2 with a bad heart problem. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@wismiss - You did the right thing for your sweet Katie. It's hard, because they can't tell us how they are feeling, and pets can be stoic. I will tell you what I've said before. Katie knew she was loved. If you were holding her your face is the last one she saw, your scent is the last thing she smelled, and your voice was the last one she heard. 

That always gives me comfort. They leave this earth feeling love. What more can any of us want? (((HUGS)))

BTW, someone I had lunch with today is turning 84. She was widowed last year, and she adopted a kitten in January. The two of them are having so much fun. You never know. . .  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Rose429 wrote:

@wismiss @I am sorry for ur loss. I am also very sad, as I lost my boxer Ellie last Wed. She had a brain tumor on her pituitary that caused Cushings and a rapid decline. She could not tolerate any Cushing meds😥 Saying good-bye was one of the hardest things I have ever done. My house is quiet and lonely. I send u prayers for ur pain to lessen. My heart is 💔

@Rose429 - I left for a minute and missed your post. I'm so sorry about Ellie. I hope you take comfort in what I said to @wismiss. (((HUGS)))

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss of your precious Katie. 🌷🥹🐾🌈

Respected Contributor

@wismiss it's the saddest day of a pet owners life.  Thinking of you.  LM