Respected Contributor

I'm nervous and anxious...part deux

We got Missy to her vet yesterday and things aren't looking good.

For one thing, she's a small cat to start with and now she's lost one lb., making her just 9 lbs. I told anyone who would listen she was losing weight; when you go to stroke her back you can really feel her spine and ribs.

Lord knows we try to feed her but there just doesn't seem to be much she likes. I'm about ready to start putting her food through afood processor since it seems she likes the liquid part only. 

The vet thinks it might be hyperthyroidism, with diabetes and kidney failure a distant third. She took blood and urine and we'll have the results in about a week.

She also said there's about zero chance of any kin of cancer.

She didn't say this but I know we have to face facts that Missy is amost 19 years old and cats don't live forever. Mostly I'm concerned about her quality of life so we'll just have to wait and see.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm nervous and anxious...part deux

@GoneButNotForgotten   Thank you for the update.  I had been wondering how her vet visit went.  I hope you'll be able to treat whatever her problem is.  I also hope the blood work results will be back sooner than a week.  I know that for me it's hard to wait.

I agree that 19 years is a long life for a cat.  I've never been lucky enough to have one live that long even though they've had excellent Vet care.  Her quality of life is what's most important, as you said.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

NickNack, Missy's been with us for only 2 years. We adopted her from a shelter where she was "dumped" because her..."family"...didn't want her anymore. (These are the same "people" who declawed her...yes, I DO get angry still).

Well there she was in a little cubby hole, looking sad and alone so of course we had to adopt her and make sure that whatever years she has left to her are happy, comfy, ones. I heard later than one of the people at the shelter cried when she heard about the adoption because she was afraid no one would want an old, rather scruffy cat.

Well, she IS old but she's beautifully groomed, well-fed, and not scruffy at all and we couldn't love her more.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   I love that you adopted an older cat.  I don't understand how anyone could dump/abandon an animal.  Cats seem to have it the worse in that regard.

I do hope that this will end up being hyperthyroidism, and you can treat it.  I can tell you love her very much.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  We recently went thru an episode with our 13 yr old cat. He became dehydrated somehow, lab showed he had high creatine levels and vet said kidney disease. I gave him subq fluids everyday for 30 days, rechecked, and his levels were normal!  

In the meantime Otto had decided NOT to eat, which of course made the issue worse. We found that mixing Fancy Feast broths and/or Delectables stews and bisques (in pouches) with his canned food (Fancy Feast pate) encouraged him to eat. He would lick up all the liquid,so at least he was getting something in him!  Those two brands (only fish flavors) were his favorite. 

It can be so overwhelming just trying to get them to eat! Good luck!!  

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Thank you for giving this old cat the best two years of her life. 

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

We got Missy to her vet yesterday and things aren't looking good.

For one thing, she's a small cat to start with and now she's lost one lb., making her just 9 lbs. I told anyone who would listen she was losing weight; when you go to stroke her back you can really feel her spine and ribs.

Lord knows we try to feed her but there just doesn't seem to be much she likes. I'm about ready to start putting her food through afood processor since it seems she likes the liquid part only. 

The vet thinks it might be hyperthyroidism, with diabetes and kidney failure a distant third. She took blood and urine and we'll have the results in about a week.

She also said there's about zero chance of any kin of cancer.

She didn't say this but I know we have to face facts that Missy is amost 19 years old and cats don't live forever. Mostly I'm concerned about her quality of life so we'll just have to wait and see.

A friend of mine has 2 older cats and feeds them baby food (only the meats - they really like ham). He also feeds them kibble. Might be worth a try. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, the baby food can be helpful!  Great in a pinch  Can make it more liquidy too by kist adding water if need be.  Just be careful to purchase the plain ones - without the seasonings - definitely no onion or garlic ingrdients.  Gerber had some that were good, chicken, turkey, beef, ham but just read the labels to be sure it's the right version.

You can try canned tuna juice, canned salmon juice, add some treats, sometimes I used to throw the treats around - make it kind of a game to get my kitty's attention.  Seemed to make it all much more interesting for him, so win-win.  Also, try some cooked chicken, junk food cat food - whatever can spark the appetite.  The vet should also have a suggestion for some high calorie, vitamin licks and alternative foods  If it's just hyperthyroid that's the problem it should be an easy fix.  Just a little pill 1 or 2 x a day or maybe just a portion of the pill.  If pilling is too hard, a compounding pharmacy can make different versions of the medicine - liquid form, nicely flavored, etc.   Untreated hyrperthyroid can affect the kidneys, so treating the thyroid can theoretically bring balance to the kidneys/normalize them. (depending, of course)   Did the vet take his blood pressure?

Please keep up posted.  I don't remember blood work taking so long to come back!  Maybe everything is just slower these days.

Sending good thoughts your way ....

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten - I will say a prayer for your sweet Missy. Thank you for loving her. My heart breaks when I see older cats put in a shelter. 

I do know there are many reasons for this, but too many just don't want to be bothered any more. 

I will look forward to an update. I'm sure your veterinarian checked, but wanting liquids could also be a problem with teeth. I hope it's something easily treated!

Respected Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Thank you for giving this old cat the best two years of her life.

I sure hope we have; she certainly deserves it.