Valued Contributor

Here we go again. I left my cat unattended for a short while on my balcony and came running when I heard a large commotion.Iguanajpg.jpg

They are becoming bigger and more persistent. I grabbed a spray bottle of water and vinegar used for cleaning and continuously spayed him/her until he/she fell into the plants on the neighbor's patio below. I don't know what the attraction is to my balcony.

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala 

It blew me away when I read that during really cold weather in FL, the iguanas literally fall from the sky!

Now, that's freaky!

I can't imagine just walking along and one falls on you, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I would never be able to live where those are.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Wow.  I don't know anything about them so forgive this question but what would it have done if you left it there? Do they potentially damage things that are within reach?

Valued Contributor

@Xivambala If you are going to spray this animal, at least use ONLY water and not vinegar and water. You could damage its eyes and maybe even kill it. I hope that's not your intention. These lizards serve a very useful purpose by eating the bugs in your yard. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would never be able to live where those are.

Not to mention the pythons, boa constrictors and huge gators that live there! 

I live about 2 hours from the GA/FL border and that's too close to those critters for me!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

HOW INHUMANE - Vinegar in the eyes - despicable.

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom  My neighbor on the first floor should be seeing them flying by her window regularly now Smiley LOL

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Xivambala 

It blew me away when I read that during really cold weather in FL, the iguanas literally fall from the sky!

Now, that's freaky!

I can't imagine just walking along and one falls on you, LOL!

Respected Contributor

I imagine that the lizards like sitting in the warm sun on a heated-up ledge.  They are in their natural habitat--humans are the trespassers.

You understand that most people on this forum are animal lovers and do not want any harm to come to innocent creatures.

Please do not use cleaning fluids on a wild creature.

You can buy some little bumps to put on your ledge so the lizards will not sit there.  Here in the northeast we put up little wires to keep out the pigeons and the squirrels, but it is never justifiable to try to deliberately hurt a wild creature just for our own convenience.

Valued Contributor

@santorini wrote:

Wow.  I don't know anything about them so forgive this question but what would it have done if you left it there? Do they potentially damage things that are within reach?

@santorini===>  Hard to say because my cat goes ballistic when they come up close to the screens on the balcony, and I fight to remove them. I've seen the smaller iguanas try to climb up the screens, and see areas high up of some destruction from the claws. I suspect that they come at night or when I am away from home. They cause a lot of destruction to plants, trees and vegetation...apparently not to the plants on my neighbors patio though.